Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

File backup techniques

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like to save my file periodically as a separate file, marking it with a date etc. However, I would like to be able to save my file directly to my backup folder, while continuing working from the current file, (where currently it automatically transfers to the recently saved file) mainly to help with keeping my folders neat and organized. Is there a way to select which file stays open?

Thanks for any comments.
13 REPLIES 13
Dennis Lee
Booster
connor wrote:
I like to save my file periodically as a separate file, marking it with a date etc. However, I would like to be able to save my file directly to my backup folder, while continuing working from the current file, (where currently it automatically transfers to the recently saved file) mainly to help with keeping my folders neat and organized. Is there a way to select which file stays open?

Thanks for any comments.
If you use teamwork, save as will not affect the current file.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or you can do what I do, save the project file as an ArchiCAD Archive Project.

File/Save As/

Select "ArchiCAD Archive Project" under format. Hit options to select additional useful Archive Options.

This provides a nice copy of your project as a .pla file. And the best part is, it does a save as without leaving your current ArchiCAD session. So you don't have to worry about closing and reopening or resaving.
sinceV6
Advocate
I also drag a copy of the currently opened file, but I first I make a new folder named with the date and the status of the backup (how far along is the project or what change is about to happen) and then drag the copy to that folder. This date-named folder is then placed in a folder named archive or anything like that.

I also used to rename the files with the date; but naming the folder instead of the file is better when you try to go back... just drag the backup back again to the main project folder and overwrite the current one... this is specially useful when using a lot of hotlinked files.
Arcadia
Booster
Just use an online backup service (which you should be doing anyway) like elephantdrive.com which has the ability to save previous versions of the file for a certain period of time. I rarely have to go back and recover a previous version but it is handy when needed.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11