BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Foundation Help Needed

Andy Melaragno
Booster
Hello all,
I am trying to create a foundation plan for a remodel project and I am having a really hard time trying to represent the foundation clearly in 2D. I have a stem wall that I want to show on my foundation plan as a cut wall. The remaining parts of the foundation I would like to show as uncut. I have been able to achieve the look I want by extending the cut plane to only cut through the stem wall however, I can't seem to get the contours of the opening to show up in plan view. I don't know if I am not setting my model up the correct way or if I have a wall setting wrong. If I lower the cut plane to cut through the opening then I will lose my stem wall representation.

I am curious, how does everyone else set up their foundation views to show brick ledges, door openings and stem walls on their foundation plans? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

AC 24 / 25 / 26 USA | Windows 10 Pro | GeForce RTX 2060 Super | 32 GB |Intel i7-8700K @3.70 Ghz
6 REPLIES 6
RandyC
Advocate
You can make a profile wall with all of the components you usually use - then you can add window,doors, or openings the same as any wall.

ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Andy Melaragno
Booster
Thanks Randy. I started out making all my walls complex profiles but when I set the cut plane in my view to cut through the stem wall only, the other materials in the wall were showing up in plan view as well. Is there a way to turn off or not show certain items / materials in a complex profile?
The crawl opening in the wall is an Empty Window Opening, I don't understand why it wont show up.
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

AC 24 / 25 / 26 USA | Windows 10 Pro | GeForce RTX 2060 Super | 32 GB |Intel i7-8700K @3.70 Ghz
Karl Ottenstein
Andy wrote:
when I set the cut plane in my view to cut through the stem wall only, the other materials in the wall were showing up in plan view as well. Is there a way to turn off or not show certain items / materials in a complex profile?
Set the concrete portion of your profile to 'core' (vs 'finish' or 'other') and set your partial structure display options for the plan view to show 'core only' (or 'core of load bearing elements' if you've also identified your foundation walls as load bearing and need to filter other non load-bearing elements out).

Do note that some of the examples included in the US template assign 'core' to more than the true core, so are not the best examples of setting things up for the use of partial structure display.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Andy Melaragno
Booster
Thanks Karl. Would I then add the cut fill pattern of the stem wall as a separate fill manually?
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

Karl Ottenstein
Andy wrote:
Thanks Karl. Would I then add the cut fill pattern of the stem wall as a separate fill manually?

The fill as cut by the cut plane should be visible. If you don't see a fill, it is possible that your cut plane isn't cutting through the stem wall and you need to adjust the height, or you have on-screen sectoral fills disabled, or you have fills disabled or over-ridden, or there is an issue with your wall settings:

Note that your wall reacts to the floor plan cut plane differently depending on the wall's own Floor Plan and Section settings. For example, 'outlines only' will not show fills - and will not show your (empty) openings. "Cut Only" setting for the wall(s) will show a zero depth cut through the walls at the specified cut plane height.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Andy Melaragno
Booster
Thanks Karl. I had the cut plane above the wall when I tried your suggestion the first time. I think this is a solid suggestion but I wonder if showing "Core Only" could give me issues with the way other items are displayed. I will have to keep that in mind on walk-out basement plans etc.
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

Learn and get certified!