cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

GDL Stair tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am looking for a solution to add a bunch of railing to archicad stairs simultaneously. Previously single flights stairs were used along the staircase and every stairs is separated GDL file, so I am looking for any alternative way to set railings for all stairs avoiding a one by one process.

Is this possible in Archicad 15?
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
One way is to start by placing beams (to make your handrails) from nose to nose of each section.
Do this at the location of the nosing, you will elevate this beam/handrail up to the correct location after creating all handrails.
Now if each stair segment is identical in every respect, you can create your pickets or whatever goes between the hand rail and steps in a variety of ways. Trussmaker, columns ,custom profiles, etc., it depends on the look you want.
However if you have segments where each part has different number of risers - you may have to create a bit that represents one tread wide and replicate that many times (you may want to make it into a library part to clean up the file and reduce file size) to complete the stair.

Worst case scenario -this is an existing building where each stair segment has different run/rise ratios, well - in that case, brew some more coffee - you are going to have a long night crafting individual solutions for every bit of this stair...

Post a picture - it will help us understand better what might work best for you.
Barry Kelly
Do your stair objects have an option for handrails built in to the parameters?
If not and you are adding handrails as separate objects then you will need to do it one by one - copy & paste if the stairs are the same size.
If the parameters are built in then you should be able to select all stairs at once and turn on the parameter for handrails.
You should be able to make any settings that will be the same for all stairs but if the stair sizes alter at all then you may have to tweak each of these separately.

Just thinking about this I am not 100% sure if this will work if you used the "Create stair from selection" option and each stair will have a unique name.
But they should have all the same parameters so it might - I hardly ever use that option.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11