cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

GUIDELINES - HOW TO?

rob2218
Enthusiast
I've seen Eric Bobrows Guideline Tutorial on Youtube but I have yet another "how to" question.

I hope the image can explain it better than i can with words.

GUIDELINES-HOW.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
9 REPLIES 9
rob2218
Enthusiast
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=191491

Here's an article I found that sortav talks about the guidelines.....but guys...at GS...I really must say that who ever decided to "REDO" the broken guideline wheel here really messed it up.

They need to fire, if not fire, then put the dude who created those darn wacky "orange dot handle" guideline functions on unpaid leave. I mean, seriously folks......that's a bit hard to get used to....very hard to get used to.

Users here in our office refuse to use the Guideline Tool....they simply draw a pline, then draw whatever they need to draw, then erase the pline.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
You don't need the guide lines for this at all.

Just activate your wall tool and place your cursor on the point you want to measure from (don't click there) and then type ... Y6-+ ENTER
I think that is what you have to type for imperial measurements.
Y is the axis you want to move in, 6- is for 6 feet and the + means move in the positive direction.

Y6-- would move down instead of up
X instead of Y will move horizontally instead of vertically.

Or you could use the measure tool.
M for measure, click on the start point, move in the direction you want to go, type the distance and then press the little round target shape icon next to where you typed the distance in the tracker.
This will mark the distance with a guide line and guide circle and then you can draw the wall.
The great thing about this method is it does not have to be in the x or y axis.

The guide lines are all still there as before but what you have to get used to is you have to tell Archicad you want the guide line. They don't all show automatically as before.
Either by using the keyboard shortcut (`) before you draw anything or by clicking, holding and dragging from a point once you have started drawing.
You can still use the keyboard shortcut there to but there is no need.

It is a little different but now i am used to it I do think it is better.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Barry wrote:
Just activate your wool tool and place your cursor on the point you want to measure from (don't click there) and then type ... Y6-+ ENTER
I think that is what you have to type for imperial measurements.
Y is the axis you want to move in, 6- is for 6 feet and the + means move in the positive direction.

Y6-- would move down instead of up
To move in the positive direction using Imperial units, just type y6+ ENTER, any single number will be registered as feet (unless the Working Units are set to only inches).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
rob2218
Enthusiast
what is a "wool tool"?
is that something special? customized?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
what is a "wool tool"?
Wool Tool is only available in the NZE version. Surprised Barry even knows about it.

The thing that annoys me most about new guidelines is quite often I get close to a node I want to click on and the "blob" appears right where I want to click. It either means two clicks, or move the cursor away and back again.
Barry Kelly
s2art wrote:
rob2218 wrote:
what is a "wool tool"?
Wool Tool is only available in the NZE version. Surprised Barry even knows about it.

One day my fingers will learn to press the right keys.
I should also learn to re-read through the post properly before submitting.
Original post has be edited for future clarity.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
No worries Barry....thanks for clarifying.
thought i was losing me mind there.

Maybe one day..in the distant/near future I'll learn how to operate those dern "guidelines" effectively......maybe
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Geof Gainer
Booster
I've given the new guide line placement techniques a go, and I'm quite used to them. But when I go back to work on a AC14 project, I have to say it's wonderful when those guidelines pop up all by themselves. It takes fewer hot keys, clicks, and click-drags -- so much that it leads to less hand fatigue by the end of the day.

So how about giving us the option of the pre-AC15 "Show Guide Lines: if-the-mouse-stops-moving"? This is important enough I ought to start a poll.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
new guidelines are frustrating like hell!
I'm chasing the orange dot all day long!
old style guidelines were amazing, hope will get to see them again.
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11