Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How To Get Rid of Wall Intersections for a Clean Look

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings. I was working on ArchiCAD until I completed the form of my building. But I cannot figure out how to get rid of these lines that show through the walls and roof. I want to start using ArchiCAD for another project but only if I can get rid of these intersection lines.

Could someone please give me a step-by-step guide on getting rid of them? I am very new to ArchiCAD so explanations would also be great! Thank you

1.JPG
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Lizara:

It looks like the Walls intersect the Roof. You have at least two options:
1. Change the Building Material of the Walls so it has a lower Intersection Priority than the Building Material of the Roofs.
2. Use Solid Element Operation with Subtraction with upward extrusion to subtract the upper part of the Walls from the Roof.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David Maudlin:

Thank you for your reply!

1. Using Solid Element Operation did not work.
2. But I managed to fix the roof intersections by adjusting the Intersection Priority of the walls to a lower value than the roof.
3. I cannot figure out what to do with the wall intersections. Any ideas?
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Lizara wrote:
3. I cannot figure out what to do with the wall intersections. Any ideas?
In the Wall Settings > Model > enable End Surfaces: Override using Adjoining Walls.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
Lizara wrote:
1. Using Solid Element Operation did not work.

That was probably because the wall was already cutting a hole in the roof due to the trim to roof you did.
Therefore there was no actual roof passing through the wall to subtract with the SEO.
Undo the trim and the SEO should work.

Trim to roof requires the correct Building Material strengths.
With SEO the strengths do not matter (so long as there is no automatic Priority Based Connections or the user hasn't issued a trim command).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
David Maudlin:

Override using Adjoining Walls cleaned it up good. Thanks!

Barry Kelly:

I see, that makes sense. Thank you for that explanation!