Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How do you create a "dutch hip", aka "Boston

Anonymous
Not applicable
Afternoon everyone!

Edit: Using ArchiCAD 10

I'm currently studying Architecture, in my 2nd year. From the 2nd semester (july-december) I have to start working in ArchiCAD. They are offering an ArchiCAD class at the beginning of the semester, but I'd like to get a head start. Currently using the computers in our department, as they have ArchiCAD installed (on campus on a Sunday, dedicated yeah? )

I've worked through the ArchiCAD video tutorials, thus I have a grasp of the basic functions of the program.

I'm trying to create a dutch hip, I've also seen it called a Boston hip, but can't get it right. I've tried using the polygonal roof tool to create the roof, but it just leaves an empty space where the "gambrel" should be.

I am attaching a jpeg file of the type of roof I want to create, this was done in a simple 2d CAD system.

Could You please provide me with a step by step guide on how to create this hip? I'd also like to know how to add the fascia as shown in the jpeg file. I've been struggling with this roof the whole day, so I would GREATLY appreciate it if You could help me!

Thank you in advance!

Kind Regards
Renier

dutch hip_0001.jpg
7 REPLIES 7
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Renier:

1. Set the roof tool the default values (slope, height, etc) for the roof you want to create.
2. Select the roof tool and set the geometry method to Polyroof, hold down the spacebar to get the magic wand, and click on the outside face of the wall. This will create a series of hip roofs that follow the walls.
3. Now select individual hip roofs and edit their perimeters to follow the plan you have for the dutch hip roofs. You will add edit points to the roofs to create the flat ends and top ridge. Remember that the 3D will follow the 2D, so as you edit the roofs in plan the model changes as well.

The fascia can be a small piece of roof that matches the top of the main roof, but its height is adjusted for the height of the fascia you need.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply David!

Here's what I've cooked up. As you can see, there's a huge hole in roof
How do I go about closing this hole?
I think it would be better if it is closed a few cm back.
Then I don't have to create the fascia boards I was talking about earlier, as they allready form part of the other roof parts.

Also...

I created each roof part (the different slopes) using the polygonal roof tool. That was very time consuming, and irrated me quite a bit. I then tried the PolyRoof one which worked great! But I could not select individual roof parts, it selected all of them the whole time.

How do I select individual roof "slabs"(If I can call it that?) Is there a way to "explode" them (sketchup talk ) so you can select them individually?

Thank you once again in advance!

Kind Regards
Renier
Anonymous
Not applicable
Renier,
When the roof tool makes barrel vaults or hip roofs it
groups the individual roofs so you have to suspend groups
or un-group the roofs in order to edit each individual roof.
As to the hole, use a wall and use trim to roof or SEO to
trim off the upper part of the wall to the under side of the roofs.
Peter Devlin
Jere
Expert
Keep in mind also, that the small gable should have an overhang to it, so the lower roof (that meets up with the gable-end wall) should be extended a bit. We often use profiled fascias, so instead of using a roof, you could easily create a complex profile and then make the fascia out of beams. Then trim the bottom of the beams off with SEO using the lower roof.
ArchiCAD 26; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 3060
Jere
Expert
Keep in mind also, that the small gable should have an overhang to it, so the lower roof (that meets up with the gable-end wall) should be extended a bit. We often use profiled fascias, so instead of using a roof, you could easily create a complex profile and then make the fascia out of beams. Then trim the bottom of the beams off with SEO using the lower roof.
06156-IWTP-rev2.png
Jere
Expert
Resurrecting an old thread, my apologies.

Is there an updated method to create a dutch hip roof using a single multi-plane geometry roof? I can't seem to create the overhang on the gable side without also moving the roof below.
Jere
Expert
Nevermind, that was easy.

Just had to set up the multi-plane geometry properly then manually drag over the gable overhang. A bit tricky figuring out the exact height of the plane (I had to match it to something else.) But on a new build should be straightforward.
Dutch Hip.jpg

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!