Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How many times do you have to implement a command to make it

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I the only one this happens to? I start a command, like drag, rotate or adjust and the command doesn't start. I assume it starts and click as if I'm going to drag, rotate, adjust, etc. Since the command isn't started all I end up doing is deselecting. I find that I have to start the commmand two, three, or even FOUR times before it takes. And I have to take my eyes off the object I'm trying to manipulate in order to look at the status bar to verify that the command actually started. It's quite aggravating. It corrects itself after restarting the computer but I don't think it can possibly be the memory since we have a Gif of RAM in our computers.

Please tell me I'm not alone here. And if possible, let me in on the secret of making it work the first time.

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Alex--This happens to me also, though not to the degree you describe. One non-register is the most I get--the second attempt is always successful. Initially, I thought it was just me working too fast, i.e. not allowing the cursor to come to rest before clicking. That's not the case, however. I'm not sure it's an AC issue, though. The same thing happens in SketchUp. I don't notice it in other programs. I guess it's not an OS issue, as I'm Mac and you're PC, so...
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alex,

I have not experienced what you describe, but I have seen the button driven commands (like zoom in and out at the bottom of the window) slow to respond. This used to be especially true in Win2K, but I have noticed it a bit in OSX as well (seems to be no problem since AC8.1 & OSX 10.3).

You don't mention how you initiate the command; the keyboard, the tool bars, the menus. Do you have the same problem with all methods?

After a bit of reflection it occurs to me that it may be a display driver issue. It used to happen with my old PowerBook and ThinkPad but hasn't been a problem on my new PB.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, this really only happens when I use the keyboard. I think. I don't use the menu or icons much AT ALL to start commands. Pretty much I have keyboard shortcuts set up for most everything I do so maybe the icons and menu commands do the same thing. I do work quickly, but I don't think that's it. Sometimes I think maybe I hit the wrong key or I didn't press it hard enough (dumb soft quiet keys. ). So I press it again, making sure I do it firm enough and that I press the right key. Still doesn't work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried another keyboard?
Djordje
Ace
Alex wrote:
Am I the only one this happens to? I start a command, like drag, rotate or adjust and the command doesn't start.
You are not. My cure is to hit hard - it hurts to hit a brand new keyboard so it cracks, but that is the only way.

My habit of right clicking comes in handy here ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alex wrote:
Am I the only one this happens to? I start a command, like drag, rotate or adjust and the command doesn't start.

You are not. My cure is to hit hard - it hurts to hit a brand new keyboard so it cracks, but that is the only way.
I also had this occur and concluded it was a poor keyboard (DELL wireless if that means anything). Since it wasn't my computer I asked the owner to get a new one - he hasn't yet.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i think if you have a wireless keyboard or mouse ,it will happen. its better not to work with wireless accessories because when the battery loses the strenght you can not be sure of your commands to be worked out .
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alex wrote:
...this really only happens when I use the keyboard. I think.
I have this trouble as well at home and at the office...and I don't have a cordless keyboard...
I have always thought it was a worn <ctrl> key given the amount of use it gets...
I have learned to hit harder (usually out of frustration)...

For me...second time is the charm...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
I have learned to hit harder (usually out of frustration)...

For me...second time is the charm...
I've always thought it was related to other application open as normal windows... when I minimize all the other running apps, I usually get rid of this disfunctionnality ! But it might be something else... Or maybe am I hitting the keyboard harder out of frustration also !