Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to design 'Leaf' Roof?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm looking at design a leaf inspired roof design for a sustainable project I'm working on at Uni.

I tried using objective but I didn't get it to work as well as I had hoped (and as good as past experience...)

Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 17.30.05.png
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is what I have so far, if it's 'right' then it was a very good task to perform. I just need to figure out the correct angle (pitch) and trim the edges and add more framing.
Screen shot 2011-02-15 at 15.09.07.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having trouble trying to place the outer framing. Whilst the top and bottom of the framing meets, the centre does not. I've use the same methods as before, using the regular profile and bending it in section, but it's not working for this particular piece...

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I'm having trouble trying to place the outer framing. Whilst the top and bottom of the framing meets, the centre does not. I've use the same methods as before, using the regular profile and bending it in section, but it's not working for this particular piece...
Do the ends of your rafters lead to an edge that forms a consistent curve?

Sometime this problem occurs if the plane of the section differs from the plane of the timber object, so the bending becomes of combination of horizontal and vertical deflections that doesn't quite match the intended curve. I'd suggest manually entering a vertical deflection (in the object settings) and observing the results. Sometimes that's the easiest way to get the right results.

I'd also recommend setting the 'Rise' value in the object to elevate the higher end (rather than rotating it). This can make it much easier to bend the object to a compound curve.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
Do the ends of your rafters lead to an edge that forms a consistent curve?

Sometime this problem occurs if the plane of the section differs from the plane of the timber object, so the bending becomes of combination of horizontal and vertical deflections that doesn't quite match the intended curve. I'd suggest manually entering a vertical deflection (in the object settings) and observing the results. Sometimes that's the easiest way to get the right results.

I'd also recommend setting the 'Rise' value in the object to elevate the higher end (rather than rotating it). This can make it much easier to bend the object to a compound curve.
No, the curve is not consistent.

I've have added a vertical deflection on -40 which has allowed for a better join, although it isn't as round as I would have liked but it's doing to job fin.r Referring to the attached, do you think I should alter some other settings, or use SEO to cut the rafters (or just leave them)?

Thank You, it's amazing what OBJECTiVE can do, my 3 major project from this year and last year (academic year) where both only possible with OBJECTiVE, and the help on this forum. Brilliant
Screen shot 2011-02-15 at 20.24.02.png
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I've have added a vertical deflection on -40 which has allowed for a better join, although it isn't as round as I would have liked but it's doing to job fin.r
All OBJECTiVE parts include a setting to control faceting (labelled Faceting in the settings. It's a tolerance dimension - the smaller the value, the closer it aligns to a curve (and the more facets you get in the model). I'd try setting a smaller figure for some of your curved timber to get a smoother result.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, how can I add a mesh quicker than clicking on each point of the leaf? Is the only way to click each point?

Thank You