BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you model this stair?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have A LOT of these conditions on my plans. My natural tendency is to use stair-maker but I have a feeling that it hinders me more than help. I could be wrong.

9 times out of 10 the stairs I work on have 2 or 3 fancy treads and risers at the start.

Main question is, how to make those first 2 risers.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here:
I use the stair tool for the heavy lifting, but bury the first one or two steps in a custom profile or slabs depending on my mood. Look here for examples of both.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Similar to Mark, I am currently leaning toward complex profiles... I've created a very simple one with MITRED ends to help it all HEAL together in section.

By making just a short stubby piece and adding creatively placed Horizontal and Vertical stretch... I can cover a lot of ground with these.

You can add "Roof" stringers and SEO the treads out of them if you wish...

Also, if you become squeamish about the potential WALL HEALING to other nearby walls, you could convert to a MORPH when you feel the design is fairly set (using the CLIPBOARD as MODULE feature, you can save the COMPLEX PROFILE version as a module before converting).

This, obviously, is missing some of the other features, like railings, etc. But I presume the design is such that you'd have to go custom here anyway..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh ok, so you make a tread and a riser with a nosing and then just place them piece by piece. That's clever, I knew there was probably 10 different ways to do it.

How does it show on plan view? Happy with the results?
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
JLKilgore wrote:
Oh ok, so you make a tread and a riser with a nosing and then just place them piece by piece. That's clever, I knew there was probably 10 different ways to do it.

How does it show on plan view? Happy with the results?
1. Easy to MULTIPLY and DISTRIBUTE (z value)... then type in dimension adjustment so the all MEET and HEAL

2. Plan view and be set to either show literal TOP VIEW (good most of the time; have to watch for FRONT BACK relationship. or "Transparent" if you want to see riser relationship to nosing. You can strategically place portions on each story to create the "ghosted above" look...

Happy that I accommodate a more creative stair and achieve CUSTOM nosing conditions.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Learn and get certified!