Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Incremental ID increase with ID manager

Aussie John
Newcomer
I know you can incrementally increase ID numbers using the Element ID manager but how do you apply it in a specific order?
Someone suggested in another post ( which I cant locate) to select the elements in the order you wish to number but that didnt seem to help.

thanks
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
1 REPLY 1
Karl Ottenstein
Aussie wrote:
I know you can incrementally increase ID numbers using the Element ID manager but how do you apply it in a specific order?
Someone suggested in another post ( which I cant locate) to select the elements in the order you wish to number but that didnt seem to help.
EIDM cannot assign ID's in an order that reflects either (1) the order of selection of elements or (2) the spatial placement of elements in model space.

It has other limitations.

While you can create a filter to select all windows, for example, along with their lib part name, width and height - so that you would group similar windows together with the same ID ... if the width (say) appears early in the list, then the ID's will be assigned with the smallest ID to the largest width, and the largest ID to the smallest width. In other words, the matching windows are sorted in descending order and then the ID's are assigned. There is no way to invert this sort order (ascending) and begin numbering at the narrowest window first. (I actually prefer the latter ordering since the ID number then conveys at least a little info to me: a W2 is narrower than a W5. Sure, I can tell myself that a W5 is narrow than a W2 with the current EIDM, but I don't like mind twisters. I run EIDM, then go into IS and renumber everything the way I want after EIDM does the grouping.)

Sorry for rambling / ranting ...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB