Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Load vs Nonload bearing

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hear about these two names and I don't know what is the difference between load/non load bearing. Where is used?
Can someone explain me? And if it's possible with some screenshots.
Many thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
The terms refer to an elements Structural Loading. A column is load bearing, i.e. carries the building's structural loading whereas an interior partition may not.
HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
All 3D elements are load bearing (including shell and morph; doors and windows)?
Can a load bearing element transform in a non load bearing and vice-versa?
Erika Epstein
Booster
No, think of it as a structural Engineer would view it. They typically define a structurally siginificant element as one that is part of the building's structural system; what keeps it standing up.

While most columns tend to be load-bearing, i.e., they factor in how a building stands up, we architects have been known to place one that is decorative.

An example of gray area here is how railings are handled. We think of them as structural whereas structural engineers only verify that they will be strong enough to keep people from knocking them down per codes and may provide connection detailing. To engineers, though, they aren't part of the building's structural system.

Your structural engineer can review the designation(s) with you, a good idea for all the 'gray' areas on projects.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very abbreviated.
You can also think of load bearing as an element of the building that is carrying weight/forces on a path that at least eventually connects to the earth no mater how circuitously this may happen.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the office where I working for, when I must send a project to an structural engineer, always I saved in DWG type all plans.
Many thanks for explanations.