Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mapping an image onto the rendered model

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I take an image that I have scanned into my computer and saved as a jpeg and cut and paste, like a collage, onto my rendered or un rendered model? What is this called in ArchiCAD and how do you do this?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to create a custom material, with your picture as the image map of that material. (Duplicate an existing material and edit via Element Attributes menu).

Then set this material to the surface of the element or object you want it to appear on.

You will have to set the image map to the material in each of the rendering engines you want to use (Open GL or LightWorks).

You will probably have to tinker with the scale of the image in the materials settings, but you can set the origin by eye in the 3D window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
explain further please
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you explain further what you want, we can help you with more detail.

Do you want this image used as a material or as a decorative picture hung on a wall?

It also pays to state your Archicad version and OS for more detailed answers, as they can vary with different versions. Place this information in a signature (in your profile, button above) so it's there for all to see.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to customize the material on the exterior finish of my model using a PDF of a collage I have created, it was explained that this possible but I need more detail as to actually implement

I am using Version 9, yes I know a bit outdated but still gets the job done for not having shell out more money.
Anonymous
Not applicable
  • 1. First of all, I think you need to change your PDF material to either JPG or GIF, but I am not sure. (Hopefully you have saved your material in a safe place, like a person AC Library you might have on your computer. That way if you want to access this new material again, AC will be able to find it.)
    2. Then from your top menu, go to Options > Element Attributes > Materials.
    3. In the Material Settings window, you want to start by selecting a material and hue close to the one you are importing. For example, if you are inputting a picture of mahogany, you probably should start by selecting '09 | W Walnut'. The reason for this is because the 'Light Exposure' and 'Vectorial Hatching' have already been figured out, so you do not need to be playing with these values.
    4. Next select 'Duplicate' so you do not ruin the existing AC material file. It is smart to name it similar to the chosen material so you can easily find it later. (e.g., '09 | W Mahogany')
    5. Do not play with the 'Light Exposure' and 'Vectorial Hatching' options. Again, you selected a close material so you don't have to mess with these things.
    6. Then under 'Texture', select Search and the 'Load Image from Library' box should appear. Select 'Load Other Object...' then 'From File Dialogue Box'. Find and select the material picture on your computer and select 'Open'.
    7. At this point you should be returned to the Material Settings window. Here you can control the size of the pattern by inputting both the vertical and horizontal dimension of the input material picture, as well as the repetition pattern of the input material picture. I would suggest not playing with any of these settings. Select 'Okay' to accept what you have done so far.
    8. Try your new material on the object you want to see how it looks. If it needs adjusting, go back into Options > Element Attributes > Materials and make the changes at that point.
Note: This is not like PhotoShop! There is NO Undo button. If you like your material but want to mess with some settings, select Duplicate before starting. Otherwise you will not have any way of going back to the original settings if you don't like the results or if you mess it up too far.

Hopefully that helps. (ps. if you are not on AC12, I am not sure if the information is in the same place.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
In addition to Smileymans comments, don't forget to edit the lightworks settings to match the internal engine otherwise you wont see the texture when you render. In AC10+ there is a big button that says 'Match with Internal Engine'. I presume it was there also in AC9!

Another tip, if don't have the original jpg images of the montage, but you do own photoshop, then there is a facility to convert a PDF back to pixels again. Go to File>Automate>Multi page PDF to PSD and set the dpi to something reasonable. Don't make the resulting image too large in size as this can slow rendering down.

Hope that helps!