Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Medieval openings

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know how to model window/door openings like this?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can now model this without in AC12 without cheating. Use the 'splayed reveal' option on the 'W Arched Cas 12' window (under Special Windows).

There are still some bugs, however. i.e. the very top horizontal glazing bar is only half the thickness it should be, and also the splayed sides display incorrectly from half way up the window if you have a stepped back splay.

If you have AC11 or below, you may have to combine a similar window with an SEO cut away from the wall and a separate splayed empty opening so the plan displays correctly. Not a pretty solution, I'm afraid!
Quote wrote:
You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.
This is a good example where your particular version of AC makes a difference to the answer!

Hope that helps!
window_splayed_reveal1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
You can now model this without in AC12 without cheating. Use the 'splayed reveal' option on the 'W Arched Cas 12' window (under Special Windows).

There are still some bugs, however. i.e. the very top horizontal glazing bar is only half the thickness it should be, and also the splayed sides display incorrectly from half way up the window if you have a stepped back splay.

If you have AC11 or below, you may have to combine a similar window with an SEO cut away from the wall and a separate splayed empty opening so the plan displays correctly. Not a pretty solution, I'm afraid!
Quote wrote:
You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.
This is a good example where your particular version of AC makes a difference to the answer!

Hope that helps!
Thanks for you answer.

I use (don't tumble!) Archicad 9. What is a SEO cut away? As far as I know, I couldn't find a splayed opening, all openings are not-splayed.

And there is another window opening that I'm trying to create: gothic arch, of course, splayed.

(All these are from an old church (1653) that I'm trying to model. I gave up, and made the plans and elevations from lines and arcs.)
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
cris2d2 wrote:
I use (don't tumble!) Archicad 9. What is a SEO cut away? As far as I know, I couldn't find a splayed opening, all openings are not-splayed. (All these are from an old church (1653) that I'm trying to model. I gave up, and made the plans and elevations from lines and arcs.)
Take a look at OBJECTiVE. It's perfect for modelling details like this, allowing you to profile, bend, rotate, and cut in 3D. You can model details like this directly in a section/elevation window too, and it can be used with all versions of ArchiCAD from 8.1 to 12. The attached example image shows an elevation and render modelled using OBJECTIVE. The elevation is almost entirely generated by ArchiCAD, with a bit of weighted line-work overlaid to liven it up a bit.

You can find out more at: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html

There is also an example video clip showing how some of the example image was modelled (about half-way through the clip I think): http://www.encina.co.uk/obj_bend_movie.html
example.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
David Maudlin
Rockstar
cris2d2 wrote:
I use (don't tumble!) Archicad 9. What is a SEO cut away?
Solid Element Operations, it is there in version 9. The operation only appears in 3D, so you will still need to do extra line/fill work for the plan of the window. This could also be accomplished with GDL, but unless you have some knowledge of GDL, that is not the quickest way.

And from the horse's mouth 😉:

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph
I tried once again to download one of your movies (splayed opening arch window).
I have,(as most) dsl and yet it "timed out".
Don't have other movie down load issues, so you might want to check this out from your end, or lower the mb.
Bier
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Bier wrote:
I tried once again to download one of your movies (splayed opening arch window).
I have,(as most) dsl and yet it "timed out".
Don't have other movie down load issues, so you might want to check this out from your end, or lower the mb.
I ran a quick test with XP (IE, Firefox) and Mac OS (Safari) and the movie played without problems, starting within a few seconds in most cases. It relies on Quicktime for playback - do you have a reasonably recent version installed?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
Take a look at OBJECTiVE. It's perfect for modelling details like this, allowing you to profile, bend, rotate, and cut in 3D. You can model details like this directly in a section/elevation window too, and it can be used with all versions of ArchiCAD from 8.1 to 12. The attached example image shows an elevation and render modelled using OBJECTIVE. The elevation is almost entirely generated by ArchiCAD, with a bit of weighted line-work overlaid to liven it up a bit.
Wow, this is nice. Will it show up in plan, also?

[David, thanks for signature suggestion , I did change it ]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph
Well I do have Q.T. 7.1.3 installed, but it was opening with Real Player.
Did not hang with Q.T., but still takes a while and streaming can't keep up with play speed. No big deal.
I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but from Uk to West Coast is a lot of
stone throws for 75mb.
Maybe that is why it seems so slow to me.
You do seem to have a really nice product.
Bier
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
cris2d2 wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Take a look at OBJECTiVE. It's perfect for modelling details like this...
Wow, this is nice. Will it show up in plan, also?
Anything modelled with OBJECTiVE appears in plan as it would look in the 3D window (if you looked straight down on it).
Ralph Wessel BArch