Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mis-mesh

Anonymous
Not applicable
I constructed an organic form(a solid balcony) that clings to an acute angle corner of a two-story wall by drawing the profiles of the form every three inches using the mesh tool. Each 'slice' was drawn as a separate mesh. How can these be combined into a single mesh so it will render as a solid in the 3D window?
77 REPLIES 77
Anonymous
Not applicable
I unlocked the meshes in order to select them. All of the nodes were highlighted. What if I assign the mesh a thickness? How is this done(I am assuming not through the mesh base)?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here are some images that when combined with the latest round of [unanswered]questions should put everything into context. Note: the walls run wild since the mesh/roof was supposed to trim off the excess. An array of skylights(not shown) using the same datums are also a part of the design. A virtual trophy to the person who solves this one.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This roof(drawn as a mesh) needs to be placed on top of the walls. Reference plate height is at the curved walls.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The skylight array which is unaffected by the mesh and needs to be trimmed at the roof plane. Note that the walls from below are also not trimmed as desired.
Anonymous
Not applicable
garytom,
It appears that the roof mesh is a surface mesh and hence will not
perform a SEO as an operator.
Change it to a solid mesh, copy it, past it, de-elevate the copy,
make the original a target, make the copy an operator, and
SEO the copy from the original with downwards extrusion.
Put the copy on a hidden layer and you should now have
a solid mesh with a thickness equal to the amount of de-elevation
that will trim your walls using SEO.
Peter Devlin
__archiben
Booster
have you used the 'mesh to roof' tool i suggest earlier? as well as perform the solid element operation on the walls, you'd be able to place proper skylights that cut their own holes in the roofs and use things like the roof surfacer accessory for tiles and the like. . .

it also looks as though the roof is quite simple over most of its area - the complexity of the mesh only seems evident in a few places . . . ? you could combine the traditional roof tool with peters idea above as well . . . lots of ideas - it is a student version you're using isn't it? i'd have a go myself if it was in the full AC9 format . . .

(also: keep your mesh on a hidden layer for future modification . . .)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again archiben and Peter Devlin. a-ben: I did attempt to use the mesh to roof add-on, a dialogue box popped up - see my previous post for complete verbage. And yes, I do have the student version, but thank you for the offer nevertheless. You two could probably solve this much faster than trying to tell me how, but it's probably best that I learn how to follow instructions and try to do it.
Peter: By 'de-elevating' the copy, I am assuming you mean to remove assigned elevations to each node making it as flat as a pancake. The original mesh remains 'elevated'. If the copy is the operator with a downwards extrusion, isn't this copy already below the target? It seems like it would have no effect on the target. Well, I will give a go and let you both know the outcome.
How and where do you learn all of these tricks?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, so now I have two mesh/roof planes separated by 10", the chosen depth of the roof framing. The original is 'floating' above the copy. Now what 🙂 ??? How do I 'hide' it?
__archiben
Booster
garytom wrote:
Okay, so now I have two mesh/roof planes separated by 10", the chosen depth of the roof framing. The original is 'floating' above the copy. Now what 🙂 ??? How do I 'hide' it?
you use solid element operations to subtract the lower mesh from the upper mesh with downward extrusion.

you then get left with a 10" thick mesh that looks right in 3D. next step - use this newly formed 10" thick mesh as the operator on your walls - subtracting this time with upward extrusion . . .

and around and around . . .

i think you're almost there . . . good luck.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
garytom,
You wrote:
"I am assuming you mean to remove assigned elevations to each node"

I don't mean that. Don't do that.
Keep the copy identical to the original.
When I say de-elevate I mean either select the copy and go to
edit-> "Elevate" enter -10", or in the S/E window drag the
copy down 0'-10".
Peter Devlin

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!