Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modeling a strange shape

agroni
Booster
Hello,

i am working on a competition and reached a dead point since i am not able to model a certain shape. I think that in AC11 i am not able to do it, but i heard something about archiforma???

do you think that i can manage to model the shape like in the sketch below???
i really need to model this thing

Thanx in advance 😉
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
18 REPLIES 18
Chris Phillips
Contributor
Hi

use mesh tool, make contour lines of tent shape, curve bottom edges, highlight mesh tool and magic wand contours setting z for all points on contour, make hole in top in similar way.

Chris Phillips
Anonymous
Not applicable
You should use Tentmaker.
tent_1.gif
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is that object.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Beart wrote:
This is that object.
For an updated English version <Tentmaker 07 int>, please check the link below.
Cheers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Olivier wrote:
Beart wrote:
This is that object.
For an updated English version <Tentmaker 07 int>, please check the link below.
Cheers.
Thank you, Olivier Dentan! And desire... I’m hope, that we’ll can change the thickness in next version of Tentmaker.
Dwight
Newcomer
Once again, the hero here is the complex profile wall, combined with SEO.

Making a parametric tent with approximate realism:

• Define the tent corners with a polyline.
• Define the circle center with a circle.
• Establish a larger circle encompassing all tent corners.
• Make a hypothetical tent drape using descriptive geometry and transfer it to the custom profile.
• Establish a slab as an SEO with an opening corresponding to the polyline establishing the tent corners.
• Cut upward with the slab as an SEO,
• Adjust scalloped edges to suit.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have some Autocad skills it could be modeled quite easily with it! Then import it in AC!

Tent structures are one of the reasons I still keep an old AutoCad version on my computer!
I tend to use native elements unless it simply can't be done without too much effort. I think this is made for the mesh tool.

1. In 11 I would create a new worksheet. *
2. Draw the spine in profile
3. Draw 1' to 6" (depending on desired resolution) horizontal lines from the base of the spine all the way to the top to intersect with the spine profile. Then project long lines down from these points.
4. Go to the plan and turn on the trace feature and show the new worksheet. Position it above the area you wish to make it.
5. Draw the shape of the tent in plan
6. Using the offset feature, draw a polyline inside with the shape of the tent and offset it to the amount shown in the tracing where it intersects.
7. Once you have them all done, use the magic wand to create new points on the mesh.
8. Elevate the mesh points at either 1' or 6"; what ever you chose before.
9a. Use a round column in the center placed on an S.E.O. layer (that is always turned off) and subtract from the mesh's center... or... **
9b. Just draw a circular hole in the mesh the same way you made the points.
10. Set the mesh to planar.

And there you have it!

* Of course if you are in 9 or 10, then you would just draw the spine profile in the plan window. 11 enables you to keep it around in the worksheet and reference by trace whenever you need it again!
** I would probably use S.E.O. so that I could resize the hole whenever needed, and it won't compromise the original mesh shape with permanently altering it.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Anonymous
Not applicable
Beart wrote:
And desire... I’m hope, that we’ll can change the thickness in next version of Tentmaker.
I did wrotte a "thickness" Tentmaker object, but it is surface only (hollow), because scripted with coons command.
Not any chance to perform as an operator for SEOs.

You can check for the "Mesh3D" object on the depository. Impressive piece of GDL,
despite some artefacts in rendering, easy to correct. This last one is solid and allows SEOs.