Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Module wall & roof trim

Tom Krowka
Booster
I have linked a module to a site plan so I can model both. There is a wall in the module that is trimmed by a roof and displays correctly in the model window in the PLN. However, when I place the module in the site plan, the wall shows as not being trimmed by the roof. It is the only one that does that.

Any reasons why it's doing that, or how to correct it? I guess I could delete it and redraw it in the original PLN, but there's a bunch of windows and doors in it and I don't want to do that all over again.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
6 REPLIES 6
Aussie John
Newcomer
Tom,
is the roof present in the site plan? if not there is nothing to trim the wall to.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
Any reasons why it's doing that, or how to correct it? I guess I could delete it and redraw it in the original PLN, but there's a bunch of windows and doors in it and I don't want to do that all over again.
Try to undo the roof trim, and trim again. Also, make sure the roof that is trimming is the part of the module.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom,

Are you using the "Trim to Roof" command or SEOs?

The former stores the result in the wall definition, so I would expect that the trim would remain regardless of the presence of the roof. The dynamic nature of the SEOs naturally requires the roof's continued presence.

If you are getting results other than this, I would call it a bug.
LiHigh
Newcomer
I've encountered similar problem with SEO (not sure if it's the case with trim to roof). This happens if targets and operators are on different stories.
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks for the suggestions. I believe the problem was the wall and roof were on different stories. Once I made another wall on the right story, it cut to the roof on the module.

That does bring another problem. Now I have a big window that is half on the third floor, half on the second floor. Where do I put the window so it cuts out of both floors. Or how else do you handle that situation. Make an empty opening in one of the floors?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Aussie John
Newcomer
Tom wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I believe the problem was the wall and roof were on different stories. Once I made another wall on the right story, it cut to the roof on the module.

That does bring another problem. Now I have a big window that is half on the third floor, half on the second floor. Where do I put the window so it cuts out of both floors. Or how else do you handle that situation. Make an empty opening in one of the floors?

Tom you can make the roof show on different stories to cut a roof on a lower storey.
and yes you need to make an empty hole to extend a window through two walls.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]