Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New Mac Desktop speed results.

Rick Thompson
Expert
I ran a few test on the old Mac Dual/2.0 G5 w/ 4 gig ram and a ATI Radeon X800XT video card. That will be the first score. The new computer, Intel 2.8 Quad w/ 4 gig ram.. standard set up ... will be the second score.

Open file from scratch (AC not running) - (5.3 MB pln) 1:15 min to .13 sec (was 8 sec next time from scratch)

Update drawings (w/externally linked files) - 30 sec to 16 sec

Reopen file with AC running - 11 sec to 5 sec

Internal engine rendering (shadows, transparent and hatching on) - 15 sec to 7 sec (or so)

Generating Material list (8 list export) - 1:20 to 30 sec

Sketch rendering - 1:40 to 19 sec

I was counting on a 1/3 increase, but not this

The system is much snapper.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
7 REPLIES 7
Chazz
Enthusiast
Thanks Rick. I read your results with great interest. the results are impressive. I have the same G5 setup as you and I hope to make the leap to a MacPro desktop soon (I typically use my MBP with a second monitor for production). I just need an employer first --I have found that the key to buying computers pain-free is to get other people to pay for them.

Thanks again.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Erich
Contributor
"I have found that the key to buying computers pain-free is to get other people to pay for them."

That's what clients are for!
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Gorazd
Enthusiast
I got a hold on one beast of computer and try to compare it to my Macbook Pro. It had two 3GHz Xeon CPU (eight cores all together) and ATI 2xxx HD with 1 Gb video RAM, win XP, compared to my Core2 Duo 2.2 Ghz Macbook Pro 15" with leopard. I didn't have much time for testing but here are some of the mesurements:

Start ArchiCAD with new blank project: 30sec to 45sec
Open NHS example project (pla 30,1 Mb) 13sec to 20sec
Update all drawings 40sec to 65 sec
Rebuild one section 2sec to 4 sec
Open 3D view 9sec to 15sec
Create new elevation: 11sec to 18 sec
Update entire layout book: 34sec to 49sec
Create door schedule: 8sec to 13 sec

I didnt have time to measure rendering speed in ArchiCAD (I will do that next week) but I did a simple render in Artlantis Studio. Rendering was 1024x768 with all options set to max (radiosity, antialiasing,...). On Macbook Pro it took 79sec compared to 27sec on this PC.

Overall I must say at first I was not too impresed. When working with this example it didnt seem so fast until I started to measure time needed for certain tasks. Improvement is arround 35% which in everydays work can be pretty big. But again, I compared it to a notebook, with much slower CPU, graphisc, disc. And it is dissapointing to watch, that seven cores are just sitting there except in rendering in Artlantis, where all eight went up to 80%.

I hope this numbers can help someone with buying new computer. I will try to do some other test next week, but I think, that for working in ArchiCAD alone, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for this machine. If you do a lot of renderings, then...
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
Can someone refresh my memory how to get the computer time for render times on both mac and pc?
It's a good thing I wear a watch with a second hand, but I know there is a way to get the computer to give this information and more accurately.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
So long since I've rendered inside AC ... but the info is displayed in the Report window, if I remember correctly.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Erika:

Try Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > Imaging and Calculation > 3D and Calculation Process Check Controls: Write Report before rendering, then Session Report after rendering (mine is under the Window menu item).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erika Epstein
Booster
Thanks David, that's just what I was looking for.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"