Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New Object - questions, questions, questions

rob2218
Enthusiast
see attached.
basically, trying to see how best to add hotspots as well as overall object creation questions.

thanks,

Hose-bib-question.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can add hotspots to the 2D/plan symbol either by drawing them with the hotspot tool in the symbol window of the editor, or by writing them into the 2D script. Note that if there is anything in the 2D script ArchiCAD will ignore what is drawn in the symbol window unless it is explicitly called using the "Fragment2" statement in the script.

You can also script 3D hotspots as well as both 2D and 3D dynamic ones that enable interactive parameter controls.

This is all in the GDL Reference Manual. It can be a bit cryptic at times and is more reference than instruction but it's a good place to start (it's in your ArchiCAD help menu). There are also the GDL Cookbook which I believe is available for free download and an excellent book from Cadimage for more in depth study.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Can you find me that book from Cadimage sir?
I'd appreciate it very much.

I, for some reason, can't seem to add the hotspots to my newly created object.
I can open the 2d Symbol pane. i can draw in it...but when I add the hotspot "X"'s...they don't seem to work on the newly saved object.

Must be doing process incorrectly I'm sure....

I also noticed that when I do open up the "New Object" dialogue box...there are layers that don't show up in the layer list (like layers 1 thru 16).

I'd like to know more about this stuff.
thanks.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
I can open the 2d Symbol pane. i can draw in it...but when I add the hotspot "X"'s...they don't seem to work on the newly saved object.
Is there any text in the 2D script? If so ArchiCAD will ignore the symbol drawing.
I also noticed that when I do open up the "New Object" dialogue box...there are layers that don't show up in the layer list (like layers 1 thru 16).
The 16 layers are available only within the library part symbol drawing. They are called "fragments" and can be called from the 2D script with the Fragment2 statement.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Is there any text in the 2D script? If so ArchiCAD will ignore the symbol drawing.

YES....there's a whole bunch of text in the 2d script. Isn't this created automatically when you create a new object?

If I delete this 2d script text...what happens?

I know I created a few weeks back a few symbols...edited them in the 2d Symbol window and redefined the object.....but I can't seem to do that now.....I'm not sure what changed or what I'm not doing right?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, automatically generated parts will create a 2D script (they used to just create a symbol based on the plan view but that was a long time ago).

The way it works is that if there is a 2D script ArchiCAD will use that to create the plan view drawing. If there is no 2D script it will use the drawing in the symbol window. So if you delete the script you will only get the drawn symbol. If there is no 2D script and no drawing in the symbol window there will be nothing in plan view (besides a dot at the insertion point when selected).

The advantage of the symbol drawing is it is quick and east for one-offs that require no parametrics nor stretching. If the drawn symbol is stretched it will be done as a simple ratio. If you need components (such as mullions or pickets) to remain the same size and/or multiply as the part is stretched this has to be scripted.

To add hotspots to the 2D script use the "Hotspot2" statement.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Thanks Matt,
Now...if I decide to delete the script and Archicad uses the 2d symbol image...can I then take that 2d symbol image and edit it as I wish...to make it "look" graphically like I want it to look?

Also, there are a few objects I need help with here.
Either I'm gonna have to learn GDL overnight or I'll need to hire the assistance of someone who can make some objects for us to use in our library of objects for our office needs.

There's a dude here in DC who worked for a company named "COREDC" but he has since been ejected from their offices (for reason's I care not to share here - was not his fault by the way) but I've been trying to get a hold of that dude to see if we can ask him to come by as a consultant to help us out.

Trying to find this guy if anyone knows of his where abouts......
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23