Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Next Version of Archicad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am new to archicad. It seems AC 8.1 has been out for over a year. When will the next version be due and will it be 8.5 or 9.0. Just curious.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am sure we are all curious about this and any information would be widely appreciated, but this topic belongs in a different forum (probably "ArchiCAD+").
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
I am sure we are all curious about this and any information would be widely appreciated, but this topic belongs in a different forum (probably "ArchiCAD+").
Quite so ... and, those who know cannot say. So be patient.

I always preferred maintenance releases (I remember 5.0 had 12!) to "new" versions. Rushing a version out is very dangerous ... we all remember 8.0, don't we? 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here in the UK Graphisoft about a year or so ago Graphisoft UK brought out a (UAS)Upgrade advantage scheme where you pay a set amount every year and receive free upgrades and support.

To be able to determine whether this scheme is value for money one would have to question how often the programme would receive a major upgrade.

A year or 2 ago GS indicated that a major upgrade would happen every 18 months or so. I understand that AC is not going to be upgraded this summer 2004 which is 18 months after the release the ill fated version 8.0.0 (approx Dec 2002). Therefore I for one am glad that I didnt sign up to the upgrade scheme, Thankfully GS still allow users to upgrade as and when they want from any version with a one off fee as a point upgrade.

Food for thought!
stefan
Expert
Although I like new toys, I prefer ArchiCAD 8.x to mature a bit. At the moment, improvements, bug-fixing and performance should be priority #1. Let's go for ArchiCAD 8.2, 8.3 ...

Then there is time to add features. You have completely new features and you have improved or renewed features.
Then we can have an ArchiCAD 8.5 or 9.0.

I still wonder how they manage to get the thing working at all 😉
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
KenMcN
Contributor
Lennox wrote:
Here in the UK Graphisoft about a year or so ago Graphisoft UK brought out a (UAS)Upgrade advantage scheme where you pay a set amount every year and receive free upgrades and support.
...Thankfully GS still allow users to upgrade as and when they want from any version with a one off fee as a point upgrade.
We've recently been told that an upgrade from V6 to V8 is now a one-off fee plus the cost of an annual UAS, presumably to get back some of the 'lost revenue'.
Although commercially understandable, this is a significant change as it makes it harder to catch up once you have fallen more than 1 major release behind. Not quite the way AutoDesk do it, but a step along the same road?
Kenny
V25 & 26 (fully patched); Mac Ventura, MacBook Pro M1 Max
Djordje
Ace
Lennox wrote:
A year or 2 ago GS indicated that a major upgrade would happen every 18 months or so. I understand that AC is not going to be upgraded this summer 2004 which is 18 months after the release the ill fated version 8.0.0 (approx Dec 2002). Therefore I for one am glad that I didnt sign up to the upgrade scheme,
You are forgetting a "small" issue of 8.1 that all the 8.0 users got free? So I would count from the issue date of 8.1

Personally, I am looking forward to a good and stable 8.x if it takes all the decimals, even to the third decimal place, before the COMPLETELY new version is out.

However, this directly contradicts the marketing/sales cycles in the industry, that usually revolve around the 18 months period.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
You are forgetting a "small" issue of 8.1 that all the 8.0 users got free? So I would count from the issue date of 8.1
Yes it was a "small" upgrade, I think most users feel it was a bug fixed version 8.0 . GS would have had a lot of unhappy users if they had charged for that upgrade
Djordje wrote:
Personally, I am looking forward to a good and stable 8.x if it takes all the decimals, even to the third decimal place, before the COMPLETELY new version is out.
Here here, I think we all agree on this one, however if you have joined a subscription scheme it would be nice to know what you are getting for your money.