BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Project map

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am still working on my tpl file
and my view map organization is in progress
but once I've had it done
I don't see reason to use project map any more...

So, you guys with finished templates,
Do you use project map at all?
9 REPLIES 9
Erika Epstein
Booster
Very quick way to move around stories when the story when all other view settings remain the same.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sometimes I use it to open a Section View to Check something, but do not want the Hassle of having the Layer Combinations changing back and forth.
Anonymous
Not applicable
About the only time I use the Project Map is to create New Independant Details
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
In theory you wouldn't think so but in reality you do:

Moving quickly between viewpoints without any layer combos changing. Or scale.

Creating and opening new viewpoints, especially temporary ones like check sections.

Selecting viewpoints to trace reference (as they are much less intensive than views that recall their view settings and tend to bog AC down).

Going into the different 3D window types.

Opening viewpoints that may not even reside in the view map. For example, as BIM Manager I have schedules that I use for checking purposes, but I don't want to confuse my users by saving views of them.

I think you'll find yourself back in the Project Map quite a bit.

Cheers,
Link.
Barry Kelly
Remember that the Project Map allows you to access everything that has been created in you model - stories, sections, elevations, 3D views, schedules, etc.
And you can choose exactly how you want to see them - scale, layers, partial structure display, etc.

The View Map is only as usefull as the views you create.
If a view is missing or has the wrong settings then there is no point in having it there in the first place.
When set up correctly the View Map is fantastic as you can have as many or as few views as you need.
Organising it into a logical structure with the use of folders is essential as you can expand or hide these folders as necessary.
A good template is essential to already have the necessary views in place and automate the creation of new views with "Cloned" folders.

But no matter how good your View Map is you will still use the Project Map as others have said.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If a view is missing or has the wrong settings then there is no point in having it there in the first place.
I have always agreed with this and that is why in the Past I had never had a template with Cloned folders.
Barry wrote:
A good template is essential to already have the necessary views in place and automate the creation of new views with "Cloned" folders.
I now am using many of the Cloned Folders in my View Map. I often Place a "N/A" before the view name on the views that are not used.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tnx for all this useful info,
fast navigation through project is probably the best one...
Stress Co_
Advisor
Barry wrote:
When set up correctly the View Map is fantastic as you can have as many or as few views as you need.
Organising it into a logical structure with the use of folders is essential as you can expand or hide these folders as necessary.
Barry:
Have you noticed any problems with Teamwork projects not "remembering" whether or not folders are expanded/hidden?

"Save" works for solo projects... but not Teamwork.

EDIT:
Ah, never mind, found it
HERE
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Barry Kelly
Stress wrote:
Barry wrote:
Barry:
Have you noticed any problems with Teamwork projects not "remembering" whether or not folders are expanded/hidden?

"Save" works for solo projects... but not Teamwork.

EDIT:
Ah, never mind, found it
HERE
That's good because I don't use teamwork.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!