Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Question about slabs

Anonymous
Not applicable
My question is: I have a slab drawn and I want to cut out part of it. I select the slab tool and select the slab. I find that I can start drawing in the middle of the slab or along an edge and I will cut a hole in the slab. But lets say I start in the center and go out to the edge of the slab. Now I have a hole in the slab but there is a paper thin line along the edge. I did not cut through the edge but left it there. Now I want to get rid of that thin line but I sometimes can and sometimes can't. I shift nodes and play with things and all of a sudden it is gone but I don't know why and I can't repeat it.

This same problem occurs when I use the magic wand with a slab and remove some of the slab. I am then stuck with thin lines that are left over. These might appear around construction lines I have use to form boarders. You don't realize it until you look at it in the three d view. Then it is quite obvious that it did not remove all you thought it would. This is in version 10
As a second part of this question, I can start my hole cutting in the middle of the slab or at an edge but I can not start the hole cutting at a node as the pet pallet opens and does not allow you to cut the hole. Thanks Doug
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want your hole to be on the edge (ie not within the slab entirely) you're better off using the Subtract pet palette option (top right when selecting an edge to edit)
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
dougw2007 wrote:
As a second part of this question, I can start my hole cutting in the middle of the slab or at an edge but I can not start the hole cutting at a node as the pet pallet opens and does not allow you to cut the hole.
Select the icon with the minus sign (-) from the Pet Palette, "Subtract from Polygon", and you can cut the hole.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
With this method, you can also go outside the boundaries of the slab, to ensure "no edge is left behind."
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you want to use the slab-inside-a-selected-slab technique the trick is not to finish you inside slab directly on the edge/corner of the selected slab.

Instead finish outside the selected slab and ArchiCAD will ask you if you want to regularize the polygon. This will make the subtraction as expected with (theoretically) no validity issues.

Whereabouts in Idaho are you?

Cheers,
Link.
Regularize.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
how can you cut a round hole in the slab? like this ?
Thanks.
Ian
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Draw a circle.
Select Slab.
With the Slab Tool active, SPACE-click circle.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning and thank you very much laszlonagy
for the help.

I just created a little list with the steps to help other new archicad users.

here you go.
Ian

1. draw circle on plan
2. select slab
3. click on edge of slab to have the edit options
4. select in new pop up menu SUBTRACT EDIT
5. hold down space button and select new draw circle.

BANG----
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, that also works.
Or you can just SHIFT-click inside that Circle.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27