Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Questions About The ID Field

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have experimented with using the ID field as a way to promote consistent tagging. For example, for a beam we will set the ID to say "W8x40 STL BEAM", then whenever it needs to be labeled in a section or detail, we just enable the label and position it properly. This ensures that no matter where it is lableled, it is always consistent. It also makes it possible to completely annotate 20 wall sections in a couple of hours.

This works great except for one problem: The ID has a 15-character limit, so our descriptions have to be short and/or utilize a lot of abbreviations.

We also experimented with assigning Text lables instead of using the ID. This allows lenghthy descriptions, but you have to enter the exact text right when you draw the object because once it's drawn the Label Settings button is permanently disabled. Therefore, if you spell something wrong, you have to redraw the entire object making sure you spelled everything right this time.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

What are the ramifications of using the ID field in this manner?
What was the ID field really intended for?
Can the length of this field be changed?
Is there a better way to accomplish what we want?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:
MY QUESTIONS ARE:

What are the ramifications of using the ID field in this manner?
Ramifications is a broad topic (more than I can manage right now). There are no particular problems with it except for the troublesome 15 character limit. A key quality (which is either a bug or a feature depending on what you want it to do) is that the ID value is NOT transfered when option/alt and command-option/control-alt clicking to assign parameters.
What was the ID field really intended for?
Keynotes and quantity calculations. AFAIK.
Can the length of this field be changed?
Only by Graphisoft
Is there a better way to accomplish what we want?
This requires more thought than I can manage on a Friday afternoon.
Aussie John
Newcomer
yes the 15 character limit is a problem but in practice is probably enough as any longer would require text wrapping. Of course by using a label (with appropriate extra parameter)s can include extra info ( non scheduled)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Jay:
You might want to check out the AutoKeyNotes object by Undecillion at Objects Online. It may do something closer to what you're looking for.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10