Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railings and Stairs in AC21

terzer
Contributor
Hello,
today I downloaded the new Archicad 21. It works great, but I have few questions:
In the video "Modeling the Stairs on Robson Square – Classics Remodeled in ARCHICAD" we can see the new stair tool being used to create ramps. I can't find how to do this.

My second question is how to create profiled rail.

I spent two hours just looking for those things (which ignited my interest in AC21 in the first place)
Thanks!
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
I dont have AC21 yet, but my understanding is that ramps cannot be made with the new stair tool, you would use roof slabs as with previous versions.
The handrail can still be used in conjunction with those & be associated to them.
Marky
Contributor
terzer wrote:
Hello,
today I downloaded the new Archicad 21...
Where on Earth did you download it from?
AC 6.5, 13 - 19 Pl, OctaneRender for ArchiCAD, MoI 3D, Blender; W7 Pro 64;
i7-4790K/32 GB; GTX 980/4 GB
terzer
Contributor
Marky wrote:
terzer wrote:
Hello,
From the official Graphicsoft website, in the download section.

In the video I mentioned the ramp is made with a specific tool, it is not a roof "ramp", that's why I'm asking.
sinceV6
Advocate
terzer wrote:
Marky wrote:
terzer wrote:
Hello,
From the official Graphicsoft website, in the download section.

In the video I mentioned the ramp is made with a specific tool, it is not a roof "ramp", that's why I'm asking.
To me it looks like the ramp object, created with the Rotated geometry method. These videos don't show the behind the scenes where favorites are stored prior to making the video or when parameters are changed, to display more of the final steps in less time.

Anyhow... I wonder if it is possible to remove the riser/thread part of the stairs to create ramps... Still wouldn't know if I would use the stair tool to create them: being GDL objects/subobjects, I don't know if they'll connect properly to other complex structures as "roof ramps" can.

Best regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did ask the question shortly after they announced the release & was told by those in the know no.

But as long as I can use the handrail tool with the roof objects & that they are associative that's all good.
sinceV6
Advocate
Well... That being the case, I think it's odd they didn't include the option (or remove the riser/threads to make it happen) to create ramps with the stair tool, given that the old tool allowed you to make'em. Level associativity would've been great for ramps.

Best regards.
terzer
Contributor
Even with the new rail tool, using custom profile, it's super easy to create sloped ramps, roads with custom curbs, profiles. The ramp objects are too restrictive and customisable.
The technology is there, it can be done, but with the wrong tools.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is possible to do Ramps using the Stair Tool but you need to get kind of creative.

In the Finish page of the Stair Settings Dialog it is possible to turn off Finishes (both Treads and Riser) altogether.

Then, you can use the Beam option for both Flight Structure and Landing Structure.
Then you can define the desired thickness for your Ramp, for example 150 mm thick, 1200 mm wide.

Then you can place the Stair with no Finishes and only a very wide Beam Structure, and you will have a Ramp.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Marky wrote:
terzer wrote:
Hello,
From here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27