cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: AC12+ Question

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
Does anyone think GS might include/be working towards incorporating add-ons such as MaxonForm or Objective into future releases?
I have been using AC for about 4 years now and am relatively happy with the software, I do however wish it was easier to model new objects/elements without requiring any add-ons.
Thanks.
72 REPLIES 72
__archiben
Booster
Dwight wrote:
In fact, I am reminded of a powerful quote from Eugene J McCarthy that I distort for my own nefarious purpose:

"This is, I say, the time for all good Archicad users not to stick with that loser-in-the-hands-of-Graphisoft LightWorks, but to benefit from the aid of the latest Artlantis with its improved speed and memory use, expanded features and simplified interface."
good job you sold all the copies of your book then, eh?
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
There's a few left.

I am having great experiences with the new Artlantis and last month I was consulting downtown on a city block-sized job - some upcoming Olympic housing - and even though it took quite a while to transfer the file - OnyxPro 3D trees surrounding the project and all - the entire presentation, 20 renderings and elevations - imaged overnight on one of these new-fangled MacPro machines.

It just seems that the new release is working so much better that my prior reservations are erased.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ahem, eerrr, Graphisoft....is anyone listening?

When someone as highly esteemed and regarded as (worldwide-guru) Dwight is going on the record about (your) implementation of Lightworks in ArchiCAD, I can only hope you are listening....but then the criticisms are not new, and nothing has changed.....so like Dwight I hold little hope.....

and Graphisoft, if you are listening, think on this...

Numerous offices committed to the subscription model for v11 & v12, after previous upgrade strategies were dumped. Users have put up with many issues in v11 (just look at this forum!), but I just cannot see everyone rushing out to renew their subs post v12 if things don't improve....
Dwight
Newcomer
It should come as no surprise to Archicad users as far back as whenever that the rendering capability of Archicad has been a low priority for Graphisoft.

Ten years ago, before the LightWorks engine, i complained to an un-named Graphisoft honcho about texture qualities. In his supreme Marie Antoinette cake eaters club moment, this guy said "Let them buy the Artlantis Shaders."

Very few users render at all, so they are correct to place low importance in rendering,
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
It should come as no surprise to Archicad users as far back as whenever that the rendering capability of Archicad has been a low priority for Graphisoft.

Ten years ago, before the LightWorks engine, i complained to an un-named Graphisoft honcho about texture qualities. In his supreme Marie Antoinette cake eaters club moment, this guy said "Let them buy the Artlantis Shaders."

Very few users render at all, so they are correct to place low importance in rendering,
I totaly agree !

I wish that archicad improve modeling tools, speed in creating sections, to buy some of fine addons and incoporate in ac, there is a lot of more important thing then rendering . . . i render all the time and i never use archicad to render and i will never use it . . . there is out there a lot of better solutions then ac
Anonymous
Not applicable
razorback wrote:
here are some samples of revit 2009 images slowly coming out of there closet. i hope GS is looking and listening
Aye. And all of those were modeled and rendered entirely within Revit 2009. The new modeling tools and renderer were sorely needed, and the latest improvements are a great step forwards. I expect Nemetschek to respond in turn!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wes, I admire your optimism, but even long time users of ArchiCAD harbour doubts about whether ArchiCAD can be competitive anymore.......

I am not expecting much of a revolution for v12, and, frankly, even if there is marketing rhetoric about how great v13 will be (would they dare call it that?! ) we will all have a healthy dose of cynicism after our experiences of v11 & 12....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't get too depressed about ArchiCAD.

Although I'm relatively new to it, working in Revit has its problems, and there are still things that ArchiCAD can do that Revit struggles with. Editing in 3D is much better in ArchiCAD, and the editing interface generally is nicer. Revit can really screw up with importing DWGs as well. You can't underlay a plan on an elevation & vice versa which I thought was a really useful feature in ArchiCAD 11.

Having said that what is noticeable to me having worked with both is that Revit has a much better range of tools and much better component modelling tools straight out of the box.

Graphisoft really need to get the functionality of add-ons such as ArchiTerra, ArchiStair & ArchiForma in the core program, and to get a curtain walling tool.

I'll be interested to see what ArchiCAD 12 is like.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just read all everyone comments about rendering.

I have found Lightworks is fine for working visuals, i.e. views that can be undated regularly as the design develops and directly connected to a layout.

Artlantis is also fine for quick glossy images. It can handle many more polygons than ArchiCAD but I find the ArchiCAD-Artlantis link unreliable and on a PC it just does not work properly. When it does work it is FAST.

I will try the new version 2 but I believe Cinema 4D is worth a look. Can anyone advise if this would be a good move?

Also heartily agree with ArchiCAD modelling limitations. The mesh has not changed since I can remember (long time). It is almost really useful but lets face it, it is not. There must be a better way to model a complex terrain? Please!

Suggestions?
Chris Phillips
Contributor
Cinema 4D architectural package is very effective, but you need time or / and training to use it effectively. You could look at Maxwell which seems very effective and gives results as good as the time you allow for them.

The Cigraph range of products, particularly Architerra, is very good but the size of the terrain in terms of the number of points needs to be controlled to break it up in to handleable sections.