Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: Missing Windows and Doors

Anonymous
Not applicable
Edit: Ooops! I thought I had posted this in the ArchiCAD forum.

Hello all. I've been searching (and reading) these forums for the last couple of weeks and have to say I'm astounded at the wealth of information here.
However, I haven't found a resolution to my problem and was hoping for some insight.

Up front, I'll say that I have since recreated all doors/windows but I'm worried about creating my second project for fear of this <below> happening again.

Here is my problem:
Using AC10, I created a simple two story residence. My pc (bless it's little heart) decided that it hadn’t experienced a full meltdown in some time and decided that now is as good time as any. This of course resulted in a full rebuild.

After reinstalling, I opened my drawing and to my horror, found that all windows/doors that were used from the library disappeared. All that remained were ‘dots’ in the center of the ‘opening’ with the door information contained in them. I used a standard door and altered only the parameters of the object.
In 3D view the empty spaces and wall openings were all visible.

All of the materials I created for the job are still there so that tells me they are attached, perhaps embedded in the project? I then checked to verify that all the layers are indeed visible.

1) If the materials I create (ie; colours, siding, flooring, etc) are embedded (is this the right word?) in my drawing, wouldn’t the windows & doors be too? Perhaps it was just a glitch?

2) If this is a problem, can I create my own library for windows, doors, etc? Can I use one of the existing objects in the library (pla) and copy it to a new library)

3) If it is not possible to create my own library can I back up/ copy the original library over as I make my changes?

4) Did I just experience a glitch which would make the above questions irrelevant?

I don’t know if this helps but previous to the crash, I performed no upgrades, patches or fixes that Would over write any of my files if that is even possible

Sorry for the longwinded post and any insight provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ken
2 REPLIES 2
indydakota wrote:

All of the materials I created for the job are still there so that tells me they are attached, perhaps embedded in the project?
Materials, and all attributes, are contained in the project.
I then checked to verify that all the layers are indeed visible.
Always a good idea, except for right now . Doors and windows take the layers of their walls; they don't have their own.
1) If the materials I create (ie; colours, siding, flooring, etc) are embedded (is this the right word?) in my drawing, wouldn’t the windows & doors be too?
Library parts, including D/W, are external; stored in the libraries/archives. Only the specific instances of the parts are stored in the project (location, size, and other parameters).
Perhaps it was just a glitch?
The dots usually mean the library parts were not found by AC, usually because the proper libraries were not loaded. In this case, when you open the file, you should see the Library Manager, which lets you choose the libraries to load. You can get the LM anytime from File -> Libraries and Objects.

Is it possible that in your rebuilt filesystem, the AC library is on a different path?

I have seen cases where the libraries' path seems correct but still the parts don't load. Try using LM to remove the library from the right panel and explicitly Add it again.
2) If this is a problem, can I create my own library for windows, doors, etc?...
Yes, you just need a folder. Libraries can be folders, pla's, or lcf's. You will need your own parts at some point.
...Can I use one of the existing objects in the library (pla) and copy it to a new library)
Yes. Select the item and File -> Libraries & Objects -> Open Object. Save As, with a unique name, to your library folder.
3) If it is not possible to create my own library can I back up/ copy the original library over as I make my changes?
What isn't possible is to save objects into pla's or lcf's. The method for 2) is the way.
4) Did I just experience a glitch which would make the above questions irrelevant?
Always a possibility, but the questions are good anyway.

HTH,
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to know James.

I did make several attempts to un/reload the libraries with no luck.
As stated I did end up just re-inserting all doors/windows.

I guess my major concern was having this happen again.

Still learning.
Thanks for the quick response James.
Ken