cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roofs and 3d Construction lines.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've only begun to work with Archicad and there some areas that need help. My first area is the roofing routine. I've gone through the posted questions to try and understand the roofing system to realize there is no roofing system. It's just 3d planes that you assemble yourself. What would be nice is to have construction lines that could be drawn while in Iso or 3d view to draw a line for trimming the roof. Since a roof can't clip a roof you really don't have much to work with.
Can anyone explain the way to clip intersecting roof planes while in 3d view. I read about the CTRL CTRL idea and it hasn't worked for me.
I'm on a Mac-intel running Archicad 10.
I thought that it would be a snap to generate a gable roof with a rectangle boundary, but it only generates roofs one plane at a time. The reference manual didn't explain much, and the tutorial created a roof but it's a single plane shed roof!! Not even a gable. Please shed some light on this for me.
Thank you.
Matt
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Lee
Booster
I think you are using the first geometry method... There are four buttons, which let you choose different geometry methods - including one that generate hip roofs automatically. See the buttons in the info box next to the layer button?

I think for gable, you make a hip roof first, and delete the hip ends. From there, you can select the node at the ridge, and just move it to the ends to make it a gable roof.

For control - clicking, I just tried it, and it seems you have to select the roof that you want to stretch to, and then CTRL click the non selected roof that you want stretched.
ROOF.jpg
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Djordje
Ace
Read

http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/issue15/roofs.html

It had been written for ArchiCAD 6.o some nine years ago and covers the basics of the roof creation. There are a few improvements in the meantime, but: find someone geographically near you, go to a user meet, and it will be clear in five minutes.

Just never, ever say "it can't be done" because you could not fathom it by yourself. Been there, done that, and was very, very ashamed afterwards.

In general: check the whole of the http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/ArchiveFrame.html after you go through the Interactive training manual. The basics, that are so well hidden in 10 under layers of pretty stuff, guidelines, trackers and what not, are clear and obvious. Learn them, and you will know.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dennis Lee
Booster
Djordje wrote:

In general: check the whole of the http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/ArchiveFrame.html
I have been following this forum and all of the graphisoft websites for almost an year now, but never found this link before. How is one supposed to find this kind of hidden gems on learning AC? This seems different from the old Archiguide tips section - and it's very easy to follow and informative. I wish there was an easier way to find all these links for beginners.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the link to the online tutorial. I'm
settling in with this program, but finding the
right help is most of my troubles. Thank you
again Djordje.