Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Shading: cut fill Pen or Cut Fill Background Pen

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking for options on creating a composite with a shaded gray core.

Is it better to use a Solid Fill with a gray as the Cut Fill Pen (Which displays the Composite in the selection area in the dialog box with the solid black fill) or an Empty fill with a gray Cut Fill Background Pen (this option will show the Composite in the selection area of the composite dialog box as having a white fill even if is gray or any other color)?.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jay,
For me it comes down to consistency. If you have other composites that are just fill patterns, or composites that are fills over background fills, then it is nice to have similar settings across the board. If you are just using the one composite, then maybe it does not matter.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone shade there walls?

I am only a humble Engineer, and we do not Shade the walls that often, but I thought that the Architects did this all the time. How do you spell Pouche?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay

Here's one I'm working with at the moment. Must admit, I don't use composites very often. I think either way (solid fill or background) will work. The only implications I can think of would be with the Cut Fill v Drafting Fill settings in your Model View Options, and how you want to deal with those for various views (plans, sections etc.).
Aussie John
Newcomer
s2art wrote:
Jay

Must admit, I don't use composites very often.
Really? why is that?
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
s2art wrote:
Jay

Must admit, I don't use composites very often.
Really? why is that?
Well, just starting I only have a few main reasons. Both deal with dimensioning. Here is one to do with dimensioning in the Section window. The other is tediousness in dimensioning in the Plan view often.

I started using AC back in version 6.5 and at that time I was not ready for Composites and saw many challenges with walls "healing" properly, so I stayed away. Since AC9 it was most likely laziness and not wanting to change. Setting up the proper view sets an pens is quite a job. One example is that in my framing plan and Framing Section views I do not want to show the Siding or the Gyp board. So it involved properly setting up a consistent pen for both the Gyp board and siding, and setting up a proper pet set that has these pens set to white. And assigning the pen set to all the proper drawings in Layout. Not a big deal just a deal.

For what it is worth I have been using Composites for my floor slabs.

For Roofs I have mostly gone the way to is constructed in the real world. I use a Roof plane with the Plywood thickness plus some to model the roof sheathing and roofing. I quess I should modify this to actually be a composite of Plywood, Felt (or Grace Ice & Water), and then Composition roofing (even use a sagged line for the Comp.). This way I can also turn the Felt and Comp to white pens for my framing Sections. ... Thanks for the extra work
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Jay

Here's one I'm working with at the moment. Must admit, I don't use composites very often. I think either way (solid fill or background) will work. The only implications I can think of would be with the Cut Fill v Drafting Fill settings in your Model View Options, and how you want to deal with those for various views (plans, sections etc.).
Another subtle difference is that if you use the same fill but just change the pen there is no separation line between the Fills. This may be what is desired or not. It seems that if the walls are in a line that there is no line regardless.

With the same fill pattern though, you do not get the shading distinction within the Composite selection DBX.

I am starting to lean towards the Solid fill (or make a Solid Fill 02 that is Gray, can you duplicate the Solid Fill?) with gray pen.
Same Fill Diff background.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Picture worth at least 500 words.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Jay wrote:
Does anyone shade there walls?

I am only a humble Engineer, and we do not Shade the walls that often, but I thought that the Architects did this all the time. How do you spell Pouche?
I think it's Poche.
My mentor jokingly referred to it as "Post-shade".... as in: Shade in the walls, after you drew two lines
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Jay

To answer your original question, I think you'll have the most flexibility using the Cut Fill Pen to determine the color of your poche. Stuart came the closest IMHO. If you use the Model View Option setting 'Cut Fill Patterns: Solid' to turn your walls into poche walls, the composite's Cut Fill Pen will be used to determine the color(s) of the poche, not the Cut Fill Background Pen.

Furthermore, I've had some client use dedicated pens for their cut fills, so that they can make their composites take on different effects (eg. colors) for different drawing types.

Cheers,
Link.