Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slabs vs Morphs

JGoode
Expert
Hello,

What are the pros and cons of using Morphs over slabs? besides the fact you can include morphs in a zone schedule...

Thanks
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
2 REPLIES 2
agroni
Booster
If I correctly understand your case here, here are some cons of using a Morph instead of a slab:
[list=]
  • In a morph you would need to modify the surfaces instead of a segment in slab. Editing the corners is also no very "smart"
  • [list=]
  • Slabs have the possibility to work with composites which makes changes much easier. Working with a morph, you would need to model all the layers seperatly
    • Morphs must be solid if you need to schedule their volumes
    • If it is not a solid, it wont be exported properly in IFC
    • Opening holes in a morph needs more steps than doing an opening in a slab
    • In a morph there are not as much scheduling options as in a slab, especially surfaces
    The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
    Currently: Archicad 26
    User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
    DGSketcher
    Legend
    Whilst morphs are a very useful tool I limit their use to difficult connections and shapes where the connections can't be adapted with PBC or SEOs. I see Morphs as a free form volumetric tool whereas slabs are a readily managed and accurate parametric object. That's not to say slabs don't get converted to morphs for further editing on occasion...
    Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)