Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slice a model for visualisation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, is it possible in ArchiCad to cut out peace (half or 1/4) of model and make rendering like on this picture ?

section-colored-interior-model.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you can.
Select the part of your model you would wish to show in 3d, right click -> Show Selection/Marque in 3d.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
JKurt:

To clarify, use the Marquee Tool, heavy (All Floors) option, to select a part of the model to show in the 3D Window.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are two other ways of doing that. One is using 3D cutting planes and the other is to select all in the 3D model space, assign them as targets in Solid Element Operations (SEO) and use a large slab or other object as the operator and cut the model.

Here's an example of the SEO trick using a sphere from the basic objects folder.

Also like to point out another trick I just recently started to use is I have a set of transparent/translucent materials I assign for walls and floors. You can look in the pic and see through the walls and see the solid objects like the beams and LVLs that are inside of the floor. Makes it really easy to see things lining up in 3D. One thing is if anyone wants to use that trick is I found it's necessary to assign a texture to the floor material so it's easier to distinguish the floor from the walls rather than using a solid color.
sample.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very nice trick (the first one) zeropointreference.
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Can I ask you to explain the second one (with transparent/translucent materials) a bit closer?

Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the project that's in that picture I changed the default interior material so it's transparent and I created a floor material for the internal non-concrete floors that is also transparent. Modify/create those by opening up options/materials. Those are the only two transparent materials in the pic.

The floor material I made sure had a texture to it so it's easier to distinguish the floor from the walls. For this project I didn't have to be so specific so I used wood flooring (because it was highly distinguishable) as the texture even though the house was carpeted. If you start to play around with this you'll see what I mean. I have since then created other materials that are more accurate.

I'm not sure what else to say about it. It's not perfect as the engine can't render transparent behind transparent well but it's more convenient than using wire frame in some circumstances especially when just visually inspecting. I only apply this to a couple of materials so if I need to shut the transparency off for some reason I only have a brief modification to the material (clicking a check box) to shut it off.

As for the first trick, credit goes to Graphisoft. That's where I learned it. It's a good trick, used it a few times to look into complex construction. I have a system where my operator only objects sit on a wire frame layer and I like to move it around while working instead of using cutting planes.

This last job I did something interesting happened. I created a slab that was larger than the project and did the same SEO trick but when it covered the house the whole house would disappear. But any object created after that wasn't part of the SEO function so those objects won't disappear. Later on I copy and pasted the slab and renamed it the current date and redid the SEO. I didn't really work out a system yet as to it's usefulness but in effect I was making a 3D history filter where I could swap out the slabs and see what was done when.