Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Solids operators

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way to extend Solid Operations capacity to be similar as it is in SolidWorks. When I am working with complex shapes I am really having hard time to get correct subtraction. Sometimes it feels like it is impossible to do it right. I know that there must be a way but cant find it. In SW I can do any complex shapes subtraction in seconds.
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Can you post a screen shot of what you are trying to do?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I live in a jungle and I am having serious problems with internet in last few days. I cant upload anything, as soon as it is fixed I will upload the image.
Thanx, Cesar.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to eliminate the interior part of the window tunnel to the interior surface of the dome. All the functions of solid operators give me undesirable results.
Both elements are Complex Shapes acting like walls. Wall trimming also gives my wrong result.
Any simple way to achieve this. For example in SW I have at least 3 simple and quick ways to do it
Barry Kelly
When you say "Complex shapes acting like walls" do you mean complex profile walls?

I would uses the Shell tool for the dome and the rectangular tunnel.
Then just select them both, right mouse click and "Connect" > "Trim elements to roof or shell".

This is the result - is this what you are after?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, complex profile walls.

It is exactly what I am after, thank you. So there is no way to do it with complex profile walls?
In SW there is very nice option " Extrude shape to body, to next or to surface" this way I can extrude any shape and it will nicely blend with other solid even very complex. This way there is no need for trimming. Is there a similar tool in Archicad?
Morphing looks interesting but I am still having problem with it.

PS. Is there a way to convert shells to walls ( to have windows and doors interact with them)
Barry Kelly
cesarowski wrote:
So there is no way to do it with complex profile walls?
There is if you play around enough - still not perfect - see attached image.
The problem with walls is they will all try to trim each other automatically unless you have them in different layers with different intersection priority numbers for each of those layers (which is what I have done here).
Then you only have the Solid Element Operations to play with.
Here I had the rectangle walls as target and dome walls as operator and subtract with downward extrusion.
Then I added a slab to match the hole of the rectangle and use this as operator and dome walls as the target and did a simple subtract.

cesarowski wrote:
In SW there is very nice option " Extrude shape to body, to next or to surface" this way I can extrude any shape and it will nicely blend with other solid even very complex. This way there is no need for trimming. Is there a similar tool in Archicad?
That is where the shells and roofs come in - they have a trimming body.
The shell trimming body can be controlled to adjust its extent but the roof TB is infinite below the roof and can't be adjusted.

Have a look in the HELP menu and go to the Archicad YouTube channel - there are a lot of movies there about shells and roofs.

cesarowski wrote:
Morphing looks interesting but I am still having problem with it.
Morphing gives you even more options.
Again look at the YouTube movies for morphs.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is exactly what was going wrong with wall trimming. I could get something similar but I got some empty spaces where the elements join...and then one has to find the way to fill the spaces.....a lot of movements and still not perfect.
Yes, I am training my self with YouTube but I still have a hard time to find answers for many detailed things. See I was train in mechanical drawings that is why SW and Catia are my tools.....(sometimes Inventor although I am not crazy about Autodesk softwares at all)
Now when I am retired, I am trying to design organically shaped houses and find it little difficult to do it in Archicad but I love architectural modules available in it. It is where in mechanical drawing software I have to do all architectural elements from scratch.
Thanx for help, Cesar.