Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Spell Checker - how to set a dictionary?

Anonymous
Not applicable
How can I point the location of the dictionary for the Spell Checker in AC if MSWord is not installed in the default directory?

According to the Help AC searches for dictionaries in the default installation directory for MS Office (C;/Program files/ ...). I cannot find a way to show it the new destiation.
18 REPLIES 18
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
I wonder if they could work on it so it could use Open Office too! We should be able to select any office program that has a spell checking feature or is this too difficult. I am just wondering why I should have to by MS Word just to get spell checking in my CAD program.
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
vistasp
Advisor
Ideally, it shouldn't depend on an external dictionary at all. If it can use the MS Office dictionary, I'm sure AC can be programmed to use the open source Aspell dictionary which can be bundled with the installation so there is no dependency created.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dictionary should be indipendent from the software!

Is should also be possible to be able to choose which dictionary to use from a list. For example I use an additionally installed dictionary for Bulgarian alongside with the MS Dictionary and naturally I would want to use it too.
Barry Kelly
Seems Graphisoft have written an article on Archicadwiki but it looks like only special peaple can view it.
I'm not one of them.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Barry:

You might try again, works for me.
The text from the page is (there are also illustrations):
  • Issue
    While running SpellChecker on Windows 7 Cannot initialize MSWord error message appears on screen.
    Cause
    Microsoft Office Language Settings is wrong.
    Solution
    In Microsoft Word/Word Options/Popular/Language Settings the Primary editing language should be set to English.
    ArchiCAD needs to be restarted before using the SpellChecker.
David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the correct link -

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Bugs/SpellCheckerCannotInitialize

Although this was already correctly set on my machine but was still failing!

But - I think I may have found the trigger for this as I noticed it was failing on an existing project, but not an new project with a small bit of text pasted in.

If you have an @ (at) symbol on its own in any text field, the 'Cannot initialise MSWord' error will occur.

Try a simple test for me to confirm - create a blank new project, create some text WITHOUT an @ in, and run the spell check. It should run fine. Now add an @ symbol separated with a space from the other text. Re-run the spell check : error will occur!

Interestingly it doesn't occur if the @ symbol is next to another letter like in an email address e.g. peter@; only on its own!

The problem on mine was probably triggered from the titleblocks on the Masters. They all had the scale written as '1:### @ A3' on!

Hopefully this is the problem, and can be quickly fixed.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Peter wrote:
If you have an @ (at) symbol on its own in any text field, the 'Cannot initialise MSWord' error will occur.
I am not seeing this problem on a Mac, AC14.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have seen the link on Archiwiki, but the tip there is for MSWord 2007. As I still stick to MSWord 2003 I just cannot use it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a dictionary, "AEC.dic," that is set to be the DEFAULT dictionary in MS Office 2007 WORD. Words added to the dictionary in ArchiCAD get added to AEC.dic (also selected in ArchiCAD), but ArchiCAD appears not to see additions to the dictionary, even after restarting AC15. This also occurs when using the CUSTOM.dic in WORD, and setting ArchiCAD's dictionary accordingly.

The added words are in the designated dictionary, as evidenced by showing up in the word list for AEC.dic under WORD > OPTIONS > PROOFING >..., and as evidenced by spell check in WORD not flagging instances of words freshly added through ArchiCAD's interface.