cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stretching Lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was asked the following question and was wondering if someone could help me out with this one:

-----
I have a line 12” long and I want to reduce its length by ½”.

For a while, I have been clicking on lines, then clicking the stretch icon in the pet palette and motion the mouse in the direction I would like to shrink the line. I enter ½” in the distance and the line is reduced in length by ½” to a total length of 11 ½”.

I must of modified some setting without knowing it because now when I try to do this the line will stretch to an entire length of ½”.
-----

So, would anyone know where to adjust that setting if possible? I have always had the habit of holding down the SHIFT+R key when inserting relative distances in order to reduce a length by 1/2". I already tried toggling the CAPS key to see if that made a difference and it didn't. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi...
have you tried to input 1/2- (Number follow by Minus)

Cheers
Erich
Contributor
ksymons19,

If you don't already have it on, turn on the Coordinates pallet. For the behavior you are used to click the delta icon by the "r" and "a" so that it highlights.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Barry Kelly
As you start to stretch watch where the 'X' (temporary user origin) is located on the line.
All distances you enter will be measured from this.

If you don't hold the shift key then the user origin will be at the other end of the line that you are stretching.
So typing 1/2" will give you a line that long.
As Tranthainyugen said you can place the cursor over either end (or an point for that matter) and type 1/2"+ or - and it will adjust the line by 1/2" from that point.

Holding the shift key will force the user origin to snap to the end of the line that is closest to your curser when you press it.
That way you can control from which end the 1/2" is measured.
The shift will constrain the angle and the figure you type will be the distance from the user origin.
So you won't need the + or - after the distance.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Barry wrote:
As Tranthainyugen said you can place the cursor over either end (or an point for that matter) and type 1/2"+ or - and it will adjust the line by 1/2" from that point.
When using english measurement units, in some cases, the "-" has to be typed twice, the first "-" is interpreted as a separator between feet and inches, the second "-" is interpreted as the direction.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14