Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

TIP-To Turn on A layer w/o Opening the Layer Setting

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this is obvious but I though I share it any way:
I have always wanted to turn on an specific layer with out opening the Layer manager and scrolling through many layers just to turn on one desired layer. here I go:

Method One:
Make sure the wanted layer is alway Unlocked and Not Visible, then in the Info Box drop down the layer pop-out in any tool and start drawing. At this point AC will ask you if you want to make this layer Visible; click yes & the rest is history!

Method Two:
Choose the desired Layer with any tool and save it as a Favorite with the name of that specific Layer. Now if the layer combination has that layer not visible invoking the favorite and start to draw will ask for making the Layer visible..

Thanks to all the great people in this list server.

Joseph
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
But that method does not update your layer combinations, so next time you go back to that view the layer is off again...
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
But that method does not update your layer combinations, so next time you go back to that view the layer is off again...

At that point click on Settings of the and click on Get Current Window's Setting + OK.
Joseph
This still doesn't update your Layer Combinations, just assigns a "Custom" layer combination to your view.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura, you seem to be in the loop...

Have they fixed this in AC11?
I honestly don't know (I'm actually just outside the loop).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
No it hasn't been fixed, but IMHO there is nothing to fix. Just because a layer is turned on doesn't mean the layer combo is updated. You can see in the Project Map that the layer combination is Custom.

I would be careful using this method to redefine views, simply because mistakes can easily sneak in. Changes include all view settings including ID, name, layer combo, scale, pen set, model view option combo, dimension standards, and the all important zooming which sets the frame of the resulting drawings.

Each to their own of course!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
No it hasn't been fixed, but IMHO there is nothing to fix. Just because a layer is turned on doesn't mean the layer combo is updated. You can see in the Project Map that the layer combination is Custom.

I would be careful using this method to redefine views, simply because mistakes can easily sneak in. Changes include all view settings including ID, name, layer combo, scale, pen set, model view option combo, dimension standards, and the all important zooming which sets the frame of the resulting drawings.

Each to their own of course!

Cheers,
Link.
I wouldn't suggest that layer combos were instantly updated by turning on / off a layer, but there should be an option to update a combo to the current layer settings. Maybe a "redefine" button that lets you select which combo to...uh... redefine.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I agree 100% and think it should reside in the Layer dialog, not the view settings.

IMHO It's all part of a bigger consistency picture where all tools need to be aligned and made simpler and more consistent. In this example the WE profiles and schemes, favorites, attributes, including layers, and more would all have the same core functionality.

I've sent GS half a book on the subject...

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
I agree 100% and think it should reside in the Layer dialog, not the view settings.
Yes
Link wrote:
IMHO It's all part of a bigger consistency picture where all tools need to be aligned and made simpler and more consistent. In this example the WE profiles and schemes, favorites, attributes, including layers, and more would all have the same core functionality.
Yes
Link wrote:
I've sent GS half a book on the subject...
Nice one, thanks. (You must have written a few books by now?)

But will (have) they listen(ed)?