cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Text tool closes when I hit enter key

Jefferson
Participant
This happens on occasion, cured by a restart in the past and hopefully as I am writting this. Basically; select a string of text with tool selected, as soon as I hit the enter key it goes back to selected mode. This if you actually tried to work with it would mean separate strings of text for every phrase/sentence. It was the norm with the 2256 rebuild and the biggest reason I trashed it. You have time for that? I don't!

Does anyone else experience this and or have a convenient work around? I would certianly appreciate a cure.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
26 REPLIES 26
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
to get a new line, you use the "Return" key(short for Carriage return from the days of typewriters) which is labelled as "enter" on most PC keyboards. its the big one. "Enter" is the one on the numeric keypad, and in most cases will "enter" the command you have been typing or some-such thing(in AC it finishes a command, same as pressing the OK button on the little palette thingy on the bottom of the screen). I hope this actually makes sense.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my experience the "enter" key associated with the alpha keyboard produces the new line. It is the one on the numeric keypad that works as accept/input data. My ThinkPad only has one enter key on its own keyboard which functions as a linefeed. It is when I use an external keyboard that I have both keys.
Jefferson
Participant
Henry, Matthew,

What you both described is the keyboard reality that I know. Mac guys win flat out on this one! [Although while typing this with the number lock on the numeric enter key acts like the original.]

Back to work for me.......we'll know more when it acts up again.......
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Erika Epstein
Booster
Jeff,
On the pc, when you select a body of text, you have to click with your CURSOR INSIDE the text box, to start an action, and then the enter key that is with the alphabet keys (is that a querty?) will act like the carriage return or highlight text etc. If after selecting a body of text your cursor is out side the body of text, it can only deselect the text /object selected.

Cursor inside the text tool: it can affect the body of text.
Cursor outside the body of text: it can only deselect the body of text.

The enter button by the numbers is data entry like Ben described and will only deselect the text body NOT act as a carriage return.

good thing all of us are old enough to remember carriage returns....
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Jefferson
Participant
Hi Erika,

I'm clear on how to select and edit text. I started this thread due to inconsistent behavior [ArchiCAD's, not mine this time] with the enter key I always/usually [quetry?-the non numeric keypad ] use to edit text.

It has taken a spin off to entry key land. All in all the keyboard is clear, I fear I have come off as "the idiot who doesn't understand his own keyboard", and actually I do! Joy of joys, in fact I now know a LOT more about my keyboard, but the behavioral thing is still a mystery...........

Rereading my original post I may not have made my problem clear. I have the selected text open for editing, I type away, hit enter to move to another line, as in below the one I am working on, and the text closes. This is using the, now we are all completely certain, correct enter key. And as I said in the beginning a restart cures it.

Far from enter-taining

Thanks though..........
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Erika Epstein
Booster
Sorry Jeff,
I guess I was engrossed with learing my keyboard too!

I've experienced quite a variety of problems with tools working and then not This sounds like another of these instances. The label tool as Jay said sometimes changing one parameter changes all the text, lately the section tool set to elevation (1 marker in the middle of the line) sometimes its one marker, sometimes 2 (each end)....frustrating
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:
It has taken a spin off to entry key land. All in all the keyboard is clear, I fear I have come off as "the idiot who doesn't understand his own keyboard", and actually I do! Joy of joys, in fact I now know a LOT more about my keyboard, but the behavioral thing is still a mystery...........
I guess this is my que. Have you tried a different keyboard? (Yes the old PC keyboard thing again.)

I have found PC keyboard quality and behavior to be quite variable and (as some of you already know) have found that the IBM keyboards have always worked well for me. This may not be the problem but it's worth a shot if you have any spares around.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jefferson wrote:
Sorry Jeff - I may have misinterpreted your problem. There are two distinct enter/return key-presses involved in text placement, and I assumed you were confusing them - I'll give myself a quick slap

Are you saying you can get different behaviour from the same key-press?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Jefferson
Participant
Isn't this board great? Thanks to everybody for their efforts!

I think this is a classic case of the poster[?] not making himself clear initially and sending all chasing after a ghost. I am getting no different behavior, other then designed and intended by the computer mfg,windows, and those discussed throughly here, from my computer. It's a case of the software acting differently on occasion.

So Erika-no apologies-please, were sort of in this together. Ralph-especially no slapping! Matthew this is on my laptop, my primary machine, although an external keyboard is on the way to facilitate desktop w/extra monitor working. And because it is an intermittent thing and in the past I have needed to WORK I just restart and get back to it. I will try all the remedey attempts when and if it reoccurs.

Ben checked the driver as well, 'twas good.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
Label tool Enter/Return changed in AC14...

I'm using a MAC so Alpha is Return and Numeric is Enter. In 13 and previous versions (I think) Return was carriage return and Enter entered the command or closed the window.... Now in AC14 they both are carriage return.... Very annoying.

Is there a way to fix this?