cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Texture appears differently on slab to wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,
I don't know why it has taken so long, but here is my first cry for help on this forum!

As per the drawing, I have two 3D textures assigned to a slab edge & walls adjoining, however on the slab edges the textures size differently to the walls, so I can't align them.

The walls above are created on 2 stories & they align fine. As can be seen it is happening with two textures, my weatherboard AND a proprietary colorbond one. I'm on Arc 16. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark.
11 REPLIES 11
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Mark:

Since the spacing of the Vectorial Hatching does not match, I would check the Material assignment (Surfaces in AC 17) of the Slab's edges to make sure that they are identical to the Walls' materials. It is also possible that the Textures' Origins were altered: the elements can be selected in the 3D Window, then use the command Align 3D Texture > Reset.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey David.

Thanks for that. I've double checked & yes the materials are the same. And Ive aligned the two walls vertically above the slab, along with the slab, to corners. The walls lined up but not the slab. The issue is the spacing is different on the slab to the walls, in both 2D & 3D, so even if it is aligned at one point, it goes out along the horizontal. I've attached a 3D picture to this post to show this. Any other ideas?

Mark.
PS Let me know if signature has appeared.
3D.jpg
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Markneedshelp wrote:
PS Let me know if signature has appeared.
Thanks for adding, looks good, could add some hardware specs.
Markneedshelp wrote:
I've double checked & yes the materials are the same. And Ive aligned the two walls vertically above the slab, along with the slab, to corners. The walls lined up but not the slab. The issue is the spacing is different on the slab to the walls, in both 2D & 3D, so even if it is aligned at one point, it goes out along the horizontal. I've attached a 3D picture to this post to show this. Any other ideas?
Yes, I can see that the spacing or scale are not the same, on the right side of the 3D.jpg it also look like the Wall texture is concave while the Slab texture is convex, or the sun is coming from different directions. I don't know how this could be happening with the same Material, I don't know of a way to distort Materials in this context. Have you tried a single Wall on a simple rectangular Slab for a test?

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey David.

Thanks for that. When I did a rectangular slab the wall materials matched with the slab perfectly; HOWEVER, when I made the slab using the polygonal tool, the slab materials were distorted as per my model. These 'quirks' in archicad are a real pain!

Mark.

PS Just had an idea which impacts but doesn't solve this. When I selected 'distorted" for the cover fill orientation of the slab & adjusted the handles, it changed the slab edge materials. I managed to get the front elevations to line up perfectly, but then other elevations were distorted. So by having the floor boards run perpendicular to a slab edge makes the side materials on that edge conform, but the slab edges where the floorboards are NOT perpendicular do not conform???
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Mark:

I can get the same bug in AC17 by using the Align 3D Texture command on the top surface, I think changing the Top surface should not affect the Side textures. You could add a thin slab on top inside the walls to handle the flooring so the sides remain correct. You should report this to your reseller, there is a "Report a bug" link near the top of of this page.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I think the problem lies in the fact that surfaces seem to be rotated (or mirrored horizontally?) when applied to the side of a slab, no matter which direction they are modeled.

You could try creating a duplicate surface and setting the rotation angle for the texture to 180 degrees. Then apply that to the side of the slab.

The bug still remains though and you're probably best off contacting Australian Tech Support directly. The Report a bug link will take you on a wild goose chase!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone for your help. I've submitted a case to Australian tech support, with a link to this topic.

Regards,

Mark.
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Markneedshelp" wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help. I've submitted a case to Australian tech support, with a link to this topic.

Hi,

I couldn't reproduce the problem from V17 so looks like its already fixed.
In V16, Yes if you have additional node point along the slab edge and then try to align it with same origin, it seems to loose control.
Workaround would be, add new node point after you do "align 3D origin" then it will maintain the right texture and scale.

thanks.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi Kevin

I've replicated it in AC17. Let me know if you need a module file.

Cheers,
Link.