Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

The Roof of I–House Katsufumi Kubota

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Everyone.
I am very new to Archicad and I have been told to model this i-house to learn the ropes.

I have got the walls, slab, glass etc but I cannot for the life of me get the roof and back wall (one piece)?

Any guidance at all would be greatly appreciated.
Should I make the shape in another program and import it as an object?

The roof has many strange angles on the edges and from bottom to top.

Picture can be found here and if you are keen it is called the i-house and it is under Works>House>i-House on this website
http://www.katsufumikubota.jp/html/index-e.html

Thankyou very much for your help.

Miked
12 REPLIES 12
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Miked:

You will want to use two features to model this wall & roof. First, create the profiled form of the wall/roof with a Complex Profile Element, then after placing this element in the model, cut out parts of this element with Solid Element Operations (SEO).

For more information with images, go to Help > ArchiCAD Help, when your browser opens click on the "Search" tab, and input "Complex Profile Element" in the search box, in the results list "Creating or Editing a Complex Profile Element" will lead to detailed information, then input "Solid Element Operations" in the search box, in the results list "About Solid Element Operations" will again lead to detailed information. You can also use these terms to search this forum, these are common issues.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much for that David, it is greatly appreciated

I will give it a go.

I am used to CAD CAM programs like solidworks/ proe and have been hunting for words like extrude etc. Seems strange that it isnt just as simple as that because from what I can see there is a whole lot of very useful tools in Archicad but when it comes to complex shapes, things get hard very quickly.
but I guess it is just a bit of practice.

I will also add a signature....

Thanks again
Miked
It does need complex profiles and SEO, but I think it needs to be actually 3 main pieces --
- there is a (flat?) ArchiCAD roof; it could be a slab but a roof might offer more flexibility for trims;
- with a 'complex profile' edge tapering to the razor-thin edge from both the roof and the ceiling side, on most sides;
- plus the sloping multistory front wall;

and probably a SEO to cut the side, non-tapered, roof edge and the front wall in a single move--although I don't remember if you could pull this off with a fake sloping roof instead of a SEO, which will then make the wall look good in plan as opposed to SEO; it may require some manual work on that roof edge.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
miked79 wrote:
Hello Everyone.
I am very new to Archicad and I have been told to model this i-house to learn the ropes.

I have got the walls, slab, glass etc but I cannot for the life of me get the roof and back wall (one piece)?

Any guidance at all would be greatly appreciated.
Should I make the shape in another program and import it as an object?

The roof has many strange angles on the edges and from bottom to top.

Picture can be found here and if you are keen it is called the i-house and it is under Works>House>i-House on this website
http://www.katsufumikubota.jp/html/index-e.html

Thankyou very much for your help.

Miked
How do they build that roof IRL? It seem pretty thin in the ends and by judging of the site it could be windy....I'm very curious about the construction.
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
How do they build that roof IRL? It seem pretty thin in the ends and by judging of the site it could be windy....I'm very curious about the construction.
Guess: Fiber-reinforced concrete.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Thomas wrote:
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Guess: Fiber-reinforced concrete.
The edges look razor sharp...couldn't be concrete!?
AC 25 SWE Full

Thomas Holm
Booster
The edges look razor sharp...couldn't be concrete!?
I've seen (and cast in rubber-coated formwork) white concrete mixed from white cement, fine-grade sand and plastic (polymer) fibers of some kind. Gives razor-sharp edges if you like. But I don't have the recipe.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
They look razor sharp but I'd guess something like a 2cm min. radius to allow ladders etc for maintenance.

I like the fiber reinf theory. I'd like to think it is a modern uber-material engineered for that purpose. I mean the house does not appear to have been built on the cheap. Concrete PSI values are 60,000PSI+, I imagine additives for edge/surface cohesion are available.

Hm... Edge contraction cracks alone would suggest a covering of some sort. Curing controls were probably a nightmare. I also wonder about dirt streaks on that underside, could be that we are actually looking at a matte aluminum or composite edge with a very small reveal to create a drip ledge.

Very nice architecture, thanks to Miked for bringing it up.

Mark
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
snapcrackle wrote:
. I'd like to think it is a modern uber-material engineered for that purpose. ed for bringing it up. Mark
Yeah!!! Now we're talking. Molded aluminum frame anchored in a fiber lightweight concrete slab-roof-kind-of-thing... Beautiful nevertheless.
AC 25 SWE Full

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!