Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trimming walls to roof over another roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems like there are way too many threads for trimming walls on the search mode to find this easily so am asking in real time.

I have a proposed addition with a lower slope shed roof diving into a slightly steeper sloped hipped roof-though just in one face- to create a 8' top plate beyond the original exterior wall and roof would protrude too low into. There then is this space between the new roof (below) as it dives into the original roof that needs to be filled in-like a tiny triangular shaped wall (in elevation) that would not be a wall beneath the original roof. (Sorry for long explanation but trying to be clear here) Is there a way to trim the one addition wall to be above the old roof and not below the old roof for just that one bit-or do I need to draw a tiny new wall there? -Use Solid Elements Operations?

Thanks for any input

Wish ArchiCAD had the edit wall capabilities of VectorWorks but since Nemetschek bought Graphisoft maybe we will get them.
6 REPLIES 6
A crude, hand-drawn sketch would help explain what you're trying to do. If someone can visualize the geometry based on your description, I will be VERY impressed.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm... perhaps I dribble on too much.

I have no idea how to capture/send a screenshot on ACAD and a PC. If I was on a MAC I would just print to PDF but I know that option is hidden deep in PC world-can't find it.

Picture a simple rectangular house side gable (actually hip but doesn't matter) with a moderate sloping roof and minimal overhangs. An addition-lets say half the width of the house is in the back (it doesn't line up with the edge of house) and will have a lower sloping (less steep) roof in order to have head height at the back of the addition and have the new roof dive into the original below the ridgeline. The area above the original roof and below the new roof is what I'm talking about. In plan that wall doesn't go into the original house but it does above the original roof in order to connect the two different slopes.

Better?

Wow! I can add an attachment.
SE Axonometric.jpg
Okay, well, that much better! Draw the attic wall a story up from the main walls. Then you can use "Trim to Roof", and you can use it twice, once for the top, and once for the bottom. You may have to turn off individual roofs or move a roof temporarily, so the command doesn't get confused about which roof it's trimming to.

You can also use SEO, and again, I believe you would need to run thiis command twice.

Or, you could just trim the top of the wall and leave the bottom of wall "buried" in the lower roof, without worrying about trimming it. Trimming from a 3D view works pretty well, too.
Richard
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am unsure of what the issue here is but it might be similar
to the issue discussed in another thread.
Please see this thread.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=74111&highlight=trim+roof#74111
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Guys,

Just a little advice like that makes all the difference in making this pretty darn complicated program work for me.

Taking another (second) class next week so hopefully will be up and running even more soon.

Tad
Peter,

Thanks for the reminder that you can pick multiple elements to avoid confusion on the part of the command. Somehow I missed that. See, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!
Richard