cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall Cleanup

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this must have been covered before but I don't know how to search the archives. How do I get walls of different thicknesses to clean up automatically? Or what is the best way to do it manually? See picture:
37 REPLIES 37
Geoff wrote:
Control joints are not an excuse and having to use an SEO to work around a bug in a very typical wall condition that occurs on every job is just not right.
Uggh -- I was just making an observation, not discounting the bug --
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
__archiben
Booster
Laura wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Control joints are not an excuse and having to use an SEO to work around a bug in a very typical wall condition that occurs on every job is just not right.
it's a bug. it's a badly designed, antiquated junction control that hasn't been touched for too long and is in desperate need of an overhaul.

that being said, the control joint thing does throw up a few things regarding working methodology . . .

a wise man once said, "build it like they build it except when you can't". for a while now i've tended to model structural/core only walls first and then clad them with an accessory or additional element that does the cladding job. (thus two layers that bring two levels of detail to walls: the 'wall' itself and the wall's finish). just like they build it. the flexibility that you get from working that way - both in terms of design flexibility and documentation - far outweighs the minimal extra effort involved. in 3D/elevation it doesn't matter that archicad is showing a graphical line where one is not wanted because it is behind the cladding element.

of course, when it comes to Gib/Gyp/Plasterboard (delete as appropriate), there is no reason not to keep it associated with the wall core . . . in which case, laura, your 'control joint' suggestion is not applicable anyway . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
~/archiben wrote:
of course, when it comes to Gib/Gyp/Plasterboard (delete as appropriate), there is no reason not to keep it associated with the wall core . . . in which case, laura, your 'control joint' suggestion is not applicable anyway . . .

~/archiben
...except that it appears to be an exterior wall, in which case you would need control joints in a stucco (cement plaster) finish...(enough)

What's "Gib"???
Dwight
Newcomer
Laura wrote:
Geoff wrote:
For such a quiet and serious person, you made a great joke!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
What's "Gib"???
Local brand of plasterboard. Gib board has become the default generic term, although there are other (inferior ) brands too.
Dwight wrote:
For such a quiet and serious person, you made a great joke!
Quiet and serious, yes -- but I can be funny...
__archiben
Booster
Laura wrote:
...except that it appears to be an exterior wall, in which case you would need control joints in a stucco (cement plaster) finish...(enough)
you were right to bring up the control joint thing, laura - i wasn't having a go but ignoring your "enough" plea briefly, even that exterior stucco typically has a substrate that is distinct from the structural wall/wall core these days, no? my methodology would involve applying that substrate and stucco as a separate finish to the wall element itself.
What's "Gib"???
gib-board, british gypsum, plasterboard - same same, just trade and localised names for gypsum wall linings . . . a sheet of which (internally) can span - and most likely will - three-way junctions like that without control joints . . .

~/archiben
wal+cladding.jpg
b e n f r o s t
~/archiben wrote:
british gypsum, plasterboard - same same, just trade and localised names for gypsum wall linings . . . a sheet of which (internally) can span - and most likely will - three-way junctions like that without control joints . . .

~/archiben

Huh. Here (in the US), it's typically called "Sheet Rock" (another trade name) by contractors -- also drywall and gypsum wall board. The official (NCS) non-proprietary term is "Gypsum Board", which also will most likely span three-way junctions without control joints .
__archiben
Booster
Laura wrote:
... which also will most likely span three-way junctions without control joints .
did you take your funny pills today?!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
Here (in the US), it's typically called "Sheet Rock"
...or GWB (for Gypsum Wall Board)...or is that our president? I don't know, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.