Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What are new tools for ARCHICAD 13?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello 🙂
I was wondering if we maybe know what new tools we can expect with the new version of Archicad?
I finaly hope for 3D composite structure layers to be visible, also their 2D representation to be automaticly adjusted to the layer thickness (eg. thermal insulation).
Slab layers and their intersection with wall layers...
Also maybe while defining wall composite layers we can also define each layer height.
Better and more detailed quantity take-off is a must.
221 REPLIES 221
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with all the opinions, which is always good.
Interface changes will create a comprehensive new changes.
But they have been slow to interface with the old, so there are some opinions of this they are reluctant to upgrade, but I just hope some of the many hopes and desires that the user knows where the best.
This change will bring major changes since release 10, 11 and 12.
Changes to more perfect and achieve perfection
I am amazed at the GS Team for each ArchiCAD Development capabilities in each release and I know ArchiCAD 13 will be present with the major changes that spectacular

Regards,
owen
Newcomer
blobmeister wrote:
If you go to Augi (revit's forum) you'll see how everyone there is extremely mad at Autodesk and are not upgrading this year. The new release only has new freeform modeling tools, a new UI and some improvements here and there (native 64 bit, direct 3D, new import export file format). That's it.

You want to be impressed, check out the new Rhino v5 http://download.rhino3d.com/whatsnew.asp?rel=488

Over 100 features and enhancements.
Well less is more and all that ..

Robust freeform modelling tools allowing for expansion in later versions along with native 64 bit support are not minor improvements i would suggest. Getting caught up in providing lengthy lists of new features purely to sell more copies too often holds back real development (and then there is the yearly upgrade cycle)

Personally i could not care less if AC13 had no new tools other than a decent freeform modeling system and better performance
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Dennis Lee
Booster
This was what I put down before AC12 came out, here.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=22694&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Ok, here it goes: I heard (replace w/ hope to be exact) that -
1) the lightworks engine now includes global illumination and final gather - plus the ability to work w/ the all the LWA materials.
2) there is a dedicated tool for creating generic 3d forms & shapes w/ all the typical 3d tools available in modern day 3d modelers, and the ability to set what its function would be (wall, roof, slab, etc...)
3) worksheet tool is like any section elevation tool - it can be a live view of the plan or section/ elevation with the option to make it a "drawing", as opposed to the detail tool which is strictly 2d.
4) OpenGL is improved to match all the abilities of sketchup with realtime shadows, and no "dark side of the moon" effects.
5) grid tool works flawlessly - create / delete only in the plan, and able to adjust visibility, size, etc. in each view separately...
6) it's possible to copy paste detail views from other projects - which would bring in the corresponding detail viewpoint, and its contents with the view settings to the new project.
7) archiglazing is included
8 ) archistair is included
9) and last but not the least, there would be a secret bonus feature that will make every revit user drool with envy

maybe I'm a little bit too optimistic...? Very Happy
#5 was somewhat addressed in AC12, but none of the other ones. I hope some of the others will be addressed in the next version.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mario wrote:
Hello 🙂
I was wondering if we maybe know what new tools we can expect with the new version of Archicad?
I finaly hope for 3D composite structure layers to be visible, also their 2D representation to be automaticly adjusted to the layer thickness (eg. thermal insulation).
Slab layers and their intersection with wall layers...
Also maybe while defining wall composite layers we can also define each layer height.
Better and more detailed quantity take-off is a must.
Yeah, I agree with this, "Better and more detailed quantity take-off is a must." Freedom to customize not limited, layout for schedule listing also.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
A few comments:

I'm a render nut...I appreciate a good renderer within the CAD-program...at least when I'm not working...is it smart to lock the CAD-program with rendering??? I don't think so since I started doing serious projects in ArchiCAD. I get paid for my drawings and can produce more and better work when I render on another computer. A rendering engine can live for a couple of years and then it's time to update it. When XX gets a new engine...XX will be on top until competition updates...it's the name of the game.

ArtLantis is the way to go if you want speed and you're not a render guru. Maxwell or similar is the thing if you want extreme renders and are prepared to invest a lot of time. You can do really great straight from AC with Maxwell but you can do fantastic if you are a guru (as with any software).

And, as always....WORK FLOW is king and ArchiCAD is about work flow.

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
And, as always....WORK FLOW is king and ArchiCAD is about work flow.
I'd just like to emphasize that!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the answer is simple.

Many companies do not see the future comming. 64bit and multicore were comming for more than a decade now. Everyone that is in the programming field saw that. Graphisoft, Autodesk everybody...

Their approach was... "Ok.. we will deal with it when it comes". It may sound logical. Why spend resources re-writing code. So the time came and rewriting should be done.

The end user judges. Features are very important. Especially when the product is not ripe.

Yes multicore is important (Essential from my point of view). Its not that easy to make the step. BUT features are important too.

My dissappointment was not from the absense of FIRST CLASS features, but from small features, that are easy to program.

In any case i think Archicad should soon turn from a 2.5D program to a full 3D one.
And i dont mean so much about freeform modelling. This is not THE important part of the program. The problem is manipulating forms in 3d. Cutting, Creating Faces, Working on Elevations in 3D etc...

This is not easy, but its already late. I guess everyone saw the need coming years ago.
owen
Newcomer
oreopoulos wrote:
Their approach was... "Ok.. we will deal with it when it comes". It may sound logical. Why spend resources re-writing code. So the time came and rewriting should be done.
It has been coming for such a long time that there is absolutely no excuse not to be ready for it. Personally i would put the performance gains this would bring above any new features. If AC had this and nothing else it would be a great version and would set the groundwork for some real new features. I really do think you could have sold AC12 on the MP performance increase alone (at least to big project users - it saved me hours of thumb twiddling in the first week alone)
oreopoulos wrote:
The problem is manipulating forms in 3d. Cutting, Creating Faces, Working on Elevations in 3D etc....
and then somehow document them. Unfold surface for elevations...
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
well that whole 3d thing is essential to get right.
Philosophically what Vectorworks is doing sounds very interesting...adding on some incredibly sophisticated technology.
We can only hope.
I still maintain the facetted model we are putting up with (see my previous posts on the subject) is just not sophisticated enough....and will be the undoing of ArchiCAD if they don't overhaul it

PS: PLEASE GS don't employ a half-hearted attempt like you did with your implementation of Lightworks.....(refer to Dwights posts for the litany of misery there....)
Rakela Raul
Participant
i cannot believe that ac13 is already under testing !! and still hotfixing ac12 !!!!

everyone is going so quick..faster is better..BUT ask everyone where are you going so quick ??..whats the hurry ?? no one knows..just one more human stupidity.

start using ac13 when ac14 hits the street and you will be much happier AND much more productive, ........a fact
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16