Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What's this line represent?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to finish an online drafting course. My instructor has asked me what the "extra line" behind the chimney is supposed to represent. I don't know. In the exercise, I simply chose "Fireplace-Traditional" from the object library and put it into my plan. I cannot find any parameter in the object edit window that corresponds to that line. I think my instructor either wants an explanation as to what it is, or wants it removed from the plan. Anyone know what it is?
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
There should be a hotspot at the top end of the line. ("Should" may not necessarily the case if that 'line' is part of an object.)

With the arrow tool, select the 'line' in your elevation window ... your Info box should then tell you what it is.

Since it shows up in Elevation, it must be a 3D element - assuming you didn't accidentally draw a 2D line. What do you see in the 3D window at the top of your chimney?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again for your help. It seems that the "line" is part of the element. When I click on it, the entire element is selected. I cannot independently select just the line. I show pix of the fireplace and chimney in 3D. It looks to me, that the front facade of brick depicted on the first floor runs all the way up the chimney, and sticks up 4 or 6 inches higher than the horizontal plane of the chimney top. I think the element is just designed that way. I can't figure out how to edit that protrusion...thanks again...

Picture 2.jpg
rocorona
Booster
You are supposed to use a separate object for the chimney, not stretching the fireplace all the way.
Being external, in your case, I think you also need to place walls to hide the fireplace/chimney junction

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Thank you so much for your reply. Those of you who obviously have more experience with ArchiCAD, and are willing to put up with us newbies are real saints! OK - well, off to build my chimney......
Anonymous
Not applicable
The new chimney turned out great. I capped it and added two spark arresters. Thanks again.