Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Worhsheets ? - How do you all use them?

rob2218
Enthusiast
Basically, what and where would you use a "Worksheet" scenario?
I find I'm using them for doing "General Notes" list, or demolition key notes, or plan key notes.

But I'd like to know how the rest of you use the "worksheet" function?

I know that in worksheets, objects loose their 3d parameters and you can only have 2d type symbols...so how do you all use it?

Would you also create "viewmaps" for worksheets and how would this be advantageous? In what ways? EXPLAIN.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I place any CAD files (as drawings) either from consultants or product manufacturer's that I need to refer to.

I also have some office standards set up on one for quick reference.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use them (extensively) to place reference backgrounds. On my coordination projects this includes DWGs and PDFs (and the occasional TIF) of civil, architectural and engineering drawings.

Worksheets are functionally identical to details. They exist primarily to provide a place to put anything that wants it's own window but isn't a detail. Some have complained that this is unnecessary duplication but I quite like the distinction without a difference since I have some projects with many details and reference drawings and managing them all in the same list would be quite a chore.

Your use of them for general notes and such makes perfect sense to me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Apart from the uses already mentioned, I frequently use worksheets for exporting DWGs background files for consultants to quickly consolidate lines and fills and remove things from the export without messing with the actual drawings or model. Also they are quite handy for special diagrams that would otherwise require adding new layers and layer combinations.
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks all.
very helpful comments.

what about "viewmap" settings? Do you find that you'll create a "viewmap" for specific worksheet areas or simply drag-n-drop the actual 'worksheet' right off the project naviator instead of the 'viewmaps'?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rob2218 wrote:
Would you also create "viewmaps" for worksheets and how would this be advantageous? In what ways? EXPLAIN.
If you want the to place the content of the Worksheet on a Layout then it is a good idea to save it as a View. Even for a Worksheet that contains note. Then you can just drag the View onto any Layout you like.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Laszlo,
I figured as much that worksheet viewmaps 'should' be created just like any other "viewmap" on the database but wanted to confirm.

I noticed the other day as I was working on my worksheet that the "quick options" for the scale was off. Wasn't 1:1 and it was something like 1/4"=1'-0" or so and all the lines, notes, text, etc...looked huge...then when I changed the scale back to a 1:1 scale, everything looked 'better'.

So, lead in into my next question about worksheets.

Does anyone also have a precise 'penset' for worksheets? Pens that you want plotted a certain way either thin or thick?

Also, what about bringing objects like tags, and electrical symbols into worksheets? I noticed that 3d objects tend to get "exploded" (loose their 3d properties) while 2d objects that have some sort of parametric functionality.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can create a penset especially for the Worksheets placed on Layouts.
You place the View saved of the Worksheet as a Drawing on a Layout, then you can assign a different penset to the Drawing.

Worksheets are essentially 2D with a one-way connection (they can also be independent). Their source updates them but they cannot update their source. So they are not like an enlarged floor plan (Call-out as they call it in that other program), where the Worksheet remains a model and any change you make in the Worksheet updates the model.
I think many people would welcome such a feature.

So yes, it is essentially 2D. Very similar to a Detail with a few slight differences.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!