cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

cross-contamination of module files (mac-bug?)

schagemann
Enthusiast
over the last couple of weeks we have noticed a rather strange behaviour of layers (eetc.) in module files - which we use quite a lot, e.g. to keep consultants-dwg in a for us usable format.

however the following happens:
whenever we reopen a module file AC 81v2 AUS (2256) automatically "amends" the attributes (lines, layers) of the previously file open - regardless if this was a module file, or even a new default file - thus changing the colours, layers, etc. of the module file.

we wonder if this is a hidden feature - if so the concept behind eludes me - or if it simply is a bug.

daniel.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
The merged module will adapt to the current attributes of the main file.

The pens retain their index numbers but will be displayed according to the setting of the .pln.

Layer settings in the module will be matched by name. If the module's layers are locked or not present a dialog will offer options to unlock and/or add layers, or to merge the module to the ArchiCAD layer.

Any other attributes, such as line types an fills, which are present in the module but not in the .pln will be added automatically when merged. This can be used as a feature. For example; a module of stone fill patterns can be loaded when needed on a particular project and doesn't have to clutter up the projects that don't require stonework.

This situation with the pen and layers is one of the strong reasons for establishing and maintaining office standards. If pens are assigned by number to their function (such as pen 1 for plan & section outlines, pen 2 for plan and section fills, etc...) and layer names are made to conform to an office standard, it becomes much easier to copy and reuse material from one project to another.
schagemann
Enthusiast
just to complete the thread i thought i might as well post the ensuing correspondece with graphisoft...

On 26/10/2004, at 2:24 AM, Schagemann, Daniel wrote:

gergely,

thanks for your help.

i do now understand the idea behind modules better and see the practicality of being able to use the attributes of the last opened file.
for our purposes i think we will simply stop using .mod files and instead work with .pln files.

however, i still think that it is highly irritating to open a file (any format) and not find it in the state you last left it in - especially without any warning.

daniel.

p.s.> would you mind if i post our email-conversation under the initial architalk thread, just to keep the "community" posted?

On 30/09/2004, at 11:00 PM, Kmethy, Gergely wrote:

Daniel,
I think I did misunderstand it. I thought that the module's attributes are lost and replaced by the previously opened file's attributes. This is not the case, fortunately.

Modules contain only the attributes used in them. When you open a module, it is merging the module into an empty file that was created with the last loaded attribute set (like a file created with "use latest settings"). So the attribute set of the module will be appended to the empty file's attribute set. Exceptions are: pens, layer combinations and cities. These are not even saved into the module file. Pens are special because you can have only 255 of them (no room for appending new ones). Layer combinations apply to one set of layers, it does not make sense to apply layer combos in a different environment where you have a different set of layers.
Layers, linetypes, fills, composites, materials and zone categories are appended. In case the names conflict, the empty file's attributres will be kept, and the module's will be discarded.

There is good reason for loading the last used attributes. Imagine you start creating a module, but initially use only one linetype, then save and quit the file. Later you open it again to continue work, but you are stuck with only one linetype. You have to define or import a new linetype if you want to use a dashed line, for example.
If you want to have a file that contains only the used attributes, you either purge unused attributes with attribute manager, or save a .mod and rename it to .pln.
Sincerely,
Greg

Gergely  Kmethy
Support Team , Graphisoft   R&D  
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/

On 29/09/2004, at 6:28 AM, Schagemann, Daniel wrote:

Gergely,

Thanks for your quick reply.
Your understanding of the problem I described is absolutely correct.

Please find attached below an archive containing 2 example files.
however, please note that the phenomenon is not restricted to this particular file, it occurs whenever we create a new module file no matter on which of our macs.

If there are any queries please do not hesitate to call.

Regards,
Daniel Schagemann
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.