Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

libraries in different versions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I face a problem of moving files from and ArchiCad 8.1 to an ArchiCad 6,5 and to an ArchiCad 7.0.
My problem is the libraries as we feace difficulties in reading them when moving the file from one pc to the other.
We have found that the archive is the best option we have.
Nevertheless ArchiCad 8.1 does not seem to allow you to sane an archive in an older version. Taking as granted that an older version can nor open a newer's version file we see that we can not really move a 8.1 file to a 6.5 or 7.0 pc without loosing objects / doors / windows.

A solution we tried was to have a folder in each pc containing a copy of each library, 6.5, 7.0 and 8.1.
We direct the file to read these folders in each pc but objects are lost again.

I know that sush problems are what we call 'good housekeeping' problems and this makes it more annoying as there must be a good and simple way to do open a 8.1 file in a 6.5 pc, together with its objects this without many hussles.
any ideas would be appreciated
C.
1 REPLY 1
Djordje
Ace
constantine wrote:
Hello,
I face a problem of moving files from and ArchiCad 8.1 to an ArchiCad 6,5 and to an ArchiCad 7.0.
The FILE can be saved back, but the library was never backwards compatible - except between 6.5 and 7 AFAIR.

Therefore, you should use only the library for the oldest version used, from all the versions.

Much better would be, of course, to upgrade all the licenses ... which might not be always possible
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen