Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

limitations in adjusting brick sill

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,
We are working out wall sections. We are planning for a brick veneer backed with block (see attached image). Our windows have a pretty deep reveal which we like and want to keep at its current depth. We want to include a brick sill, but there is something we cannot adjust. In our section, the inside edge of the brick sill is poking into our CMU block in the composite wall (see arrow on left side). It seems that you cannot control the depth of the brick in the brick sill. Any help? We want it to look like the sketch with red (on the right).
Thanks!
-Boris
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you use the solid element operation on the sill to remove the back half?
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, the brick sill is part of the window object. you can not "solid-element-operate" a window, or its parts.

Any other ideas?

I'm thinking this is a flaw in the window object itself. This is a typical 14Library double hung.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not perfect, but you can change the reveal depth to control the length of the brick sill back from the face of the wall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
you are right, but this will not do. it makes the detail incorrect in other ways.
right now, the reveal depth is such that the window (frame) sits at the edge of the CMU. If i change the reveal depth making it more shallow and freeing up the brick sill, the window will shift to and incorrect position, sitting halfway on and halfway off the Block.

Since there is nowhere to change the size of the brick sill in depth, i am still convinced that this is a flaw of the window object. This seems like an easy thing to tweak.

Any other ideas?
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
There is a parameter that appears under the Sill heading called Sill Slip in Depth that allows minimal control of the depth of the brick. In the USA settings the current setting is 25/32" (20mm). When I set this to 0"(0mm) it still does not move the brick far enough out to achieve the condition you desire on my end, but it is worth a try in your project.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK cool. That is better. It still doesn't free it from the block completely, but its better (i need another 13/64"...).

The interesting thing is that if i change the angle of the brick sill to 0 deg., then the back edge of the brick is flush with the CMU. obviously we want the brick sill to be sloped slightly.

This definitely helped, and its an improvement. Thanks a lot!

I welcome any more thoughts or ideas if anyone has any.

-B