cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

multiple design versions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha,
I am looking for a good way to create multiple design versions of a project in ArchiCAD. On almost every project I have multiple design versions while I am in schematic design and design development. I'd like to find a good way to manage these multiple design versions in ArchiCAD.

One way is to create multiple PLNs for each version by using the SAVE AS feature each time I start down a new design path. This can get pretty bulky and hard to manage as the option tree branches out. This gets really difficult to manage when I am working on multiple projects over a period of months and years which is more often the case than not.

I'd like to know how other people are managing multiple design versions of projects.

Many thanks for sharing your ideas and input.
Aloha,
John
16 REPLIES 16
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It is under the AC13/14 Help menu. Not much wrong with the guide, it's ArchiCAD that doesn't always behave as expected!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
woops...
I'm still back here on v11 so I guess I don't get the guide.

I'm hesitant to upgrade because of the poor performance of some of the library parts that came with AC v11 (and previous versions) and the cost to upgrade vs. switching over to a program (like Revit) that has library parts that have a better understanding of how things are built in the US.

Example: The pocket door in the v11 library does not work even though the pocket door in previous versions worked fine. When repeatedly alerted to this problem we got a message from one of the developers cajoling us to upgrade. Why would I buy a new one when the last one didn't work.

Example: In ArchiCAD v11 3/4" thick door and window casing is a custom setting. Most builders in the US know that anything but 3/4" casing is custom. I invite the developers to spend some time working construction projects in the US so they can see how things are really built here.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
It is under the AC13/14 Help menu. Not much wrong with the guide, it's ArchiCAD that doesn't always behave as expected!

Cheers,
Link.
One more reason not to upgrade.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
On the contrary, I think you will notice a big difference going from AC11 to AC14, especially once the upcoming hotfix is released.

ArchiCAD has never been perfect, never will be, but comparing it to a switch to Revit is like comparing an upgrade to AC14 with a downgrade to AC7, IMHO.

Stay the course mate!

Mahalo,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
On the contrary, I think you will notice a big difference going from AC11 to AC14, especially once the upcoming hotfix is released.

ArchiCAD has never been perfect, never will be, but comparing it to a switch to Revit is like comparing an upgrade to AC14 with a downgrade to AC7, IMHO.

Stay the course mate!

Mahalo,
Link.
Aloha Link,
Good to hear from you. If you have a moment please open a door or window from the ArchiCAD library an see what it takes to show 3/4" thick casing. Please let me know what you find.

I'm just curious to see if Graphisoft is aware of US construction standards yet.
Mahalo,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Better yet, how can I get a gig beta testing the software. I seem to be able to find a good many flaws.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I'll PM you.

Cheers,
Link.