Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

procedure after network crash

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yesterday we had an odd network crash...I'm not sure if it was the file server or our hub which may have overheated, but for some reason, everyone's archicad and plotmaker file froze up at the same time. They all had to force-quit out, including two people signed into a teamwork project. They restarted the server, restarted their computers, signed back in (via, you have an unsaved document) but that resulted in more freezing and crashing, especially for the teamworked people. Of course this happened whil I was gone so I don't know what actually failed or froze.

what is the best procedure to recover from a simulatenous crash by multiple people in a teamworked project, due to network failure? Eventually I had to log in as Administrator and reset the project, kick people out, and so far it seems to be working ok.

What is the best procedure to recover from a network disconnect in a regular .pln?

Any thoughts most welcome, so we can develop a system procedure strategy...hopefully It won't happen again any time soon but it's good to have a plan in place. What about recovering from a brief power failure (which occasionally occurs in our area?)

Thanks!
Katie Bertsche

Mac OsX.2.8, Archicad 8.1, various G4s, Mac OSX server
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
It sounds like you've got it covered.

Ae you having any continuing problems?
Aussie John
Newcomer
dont forget that during a log in process a .lck file is created and unless that is deleted no one can log in. In your instance though sounds like that wasn't an issue
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I know about removing the .lck file when one person crashes out of a teamwork project. But, what happened was, we managed to get one person back in, but the second (who had been logged in as team leader) could get into the file, but not then sign out of it. We would get a freeze when he tried to sign out. It turns out he didn't apparently loose any work (maybe because he had just sent and recieved at the time of the network crash, I am not sure about the sequence of events since I wasn't here). But how might we have recoverd any work if he had lost some in this case? save a backup .pln file to his local computer once we had access to the model and copy any changes into the real file? Gone into the backup file that teamwork makes?

He was also signed into plotmaker with the model in use so I suspect that the network went down when there was a lot of sending/recieving/plotting/updating access to this one huge file through a possibly bad port in our hub at the same time, toward the end of the day. Now looking to limp along gingerly before we get the new hub in.

There *knock on wood* seem to be no problems now that we got the file reset. I am just wondering, if they had not been frequently sending changes, if work had been lost, what should I have done to preserve the most data by the most people; and what can I tell them to individually do after a crash, in order not to accidentally lose their work if it can be saved.

The network is definitely acting slow and flaky but that's a hardware and not a software problem I think. Darn power outage caused all sorts of trouble!

Cheers!
Katie B.
osx.2.8, various Mac G4s, Archicad 8.1, OSx Server
Aussie John
Newcomer
Katie.
All your users should be using auto backup on their local machines - they can then resend changes to update.

I am trying to remember what happened to me once but I think this is what happened.

I couldnt open the teamwork file so I replaced the adm file from the backup folder ( the day before) and it then worked fine and was able to send an receive.

Based on that you should be able to go back to an older teamwork and then send changes from the users.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]