Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

profile editor

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can someone give me some advice about how to use this tool? Is it this the best way to create unusual profiles? where can I found more info, tutorials and so? I've found some info in the Frank Lloyd Wright's Massaro House tutorial but is wasn't really useful.
thanks alot
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
The trim on the doors is not at the outside of the frame, but at the point it hits the round of the log.
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Brandon,

Good for you for giving profiles logs a shot! I can confirm that there is some kind of bug in doors, or at least D1 Entrance 11.

I'll be attaching a bunch of screenshots in consecutive posts to show everyone what is happening.

First, here's a screenshot of one profile with the opening ref lines at the outside of the logs entirely. (The fills I used were to show chinking and insulation between 12" logs BTW.)
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
2. Here's a screeenshot with the opening lines inset into the wall to the face of the chinking...
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
3. Here's a W1 Casement 11 and D1 Entrance 11 set for 'solid wall' inserted in one of each wall. This is an exterior view - the wall with inset opening lines is in the foreground...
Karl Ottenstein
4. And here's an interior view. (The wall with opening ref lines inset to chinking is in the distance.)

Notice how the window frame, casing, sill and stool only show up correctly for the inset opening line version. The window doesn't recognize the thickness of the wall in the first case.

The door is insanely bad.

I should mention that I copied the wall and made it an ordinary 12" solid wall. Window/door look fine there.

In all three walls (ordinary solid, log with opening on outside curve, and log with opening at chinking), the 2D symbols look fine for window and door. This is entirely a 3D bug...which I'll report...

Bummer,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
What I'm looking to do is have the frame of the door the width of the logs stacks, 8" for example. Then the trim would sit over top of the frame. This lets the trim sit outside of the logs.
Karl Ottenstein
PS Here's a sectional view. Granted it isn't 'right', since I don't really know anything about log construction, but it gives others an example of what a (complex) profiled wall can do to add additional details to the model, in this case adding more than shows up in the simple archicad wall tool 'log' walls. Diameters could be varied, etc to give a better effect; I just multiplied my fills in the profile editor to get this quickly for testing purposes.

Cheers,
Karl
Karl Ottenstein
Brandon wrote:
What I'm looking to do is have the frame of the door the width of the logs stacks, 8" for example. Then the trim would sit over top of the frame. This lets the trim sit outside of the logs.
Aha. I've seen other log guys bevel the logs at door/window openings, so I misunderstood.

Setting the frame depth only deepens the frame ... leaving the casing inside the wall. The casing location, AFAIK, is determined automatically from what ArchiCAD reads as the wall thickness - total thickness for 'solid' walls, and thickness less certain veneers for the other types (brick, siding, etc).

Of course, neither what I tried, nor what you want, seems to work, as the width of the wall is not being picked up properly for some reason....

Karl