Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

shell tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish to design a curved roof similar to a turtle shell, 90 ft long 76 ft wide with a total rise to centre of 12 ft. I have attempted this with the shell tool and have failed to understand the correct process. I would appreciate any information or direction to current video or print instruction.

I know that I could use the mesh tool and I want to learn all the new tools in AC15
1 REPLY 1
Graham Whipple
Enthusiast
are you looking to make a true ellipsoid shell? If so you can still use the basic shape objects and a combination of SEO to create a shell. In the past this method was necessary.
With the new shell tool I believe you could create the arc path of the ellipsoid, complete a rotation around the x, y or z axis depending on whether you are looking for a prolate or oblate ellipsoid. If you are looking for a scalene ellipsoid you can perhaps modify the angle of the arc to get the desired distortion.
Then using SEO you could trim the lower portions of the ellipsoid to get the desired height.

I haven't tried any of this specifically, but I deal with shells every day and have found the new shell tool to be a great asset in my workflow, especially since SEOs now display properly in relation to shells and roofs.

Graham
Graham Whipple
Resin Architecture

Idaho USA