Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

sizes for lines, rectangles, fills etc

sarahric
Contributor
Hello,
I would like to know why ArchiCad does not give me information on the size of an object. I draw a line or a rectangle and I have to get the measure tool to know the size, or I have to open the Element Information palette everytime I open the program, and then sift through all the information.
Then if I want to change the size I have to add or subtract and then move each side/point. Why isn't there a box in the info box like there is for the design tools (slab, wall, object)?
ArchiCAD 18/Windows 7/16GB Memory/i5 3.2GHz Processor/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
10 REPLIES 10
sarahric
Contributor
Also, this may be a wish request, but when I select more than one object the element info only gives me details on 1 object - I'd like to select 2 slabs and calculate the total area or volume for example.
Karl Ottenstein
sarahric wrote:
Also, this may be a wish request, but when I select more than one object the element info only gives me details on 1 object - I'd like to select 2 slabs and calculate the total area or volume for example.
If you are getting details on only 1 slab and not all selected slabs, then make sure you have "All Selected" highlighted and not "Last Selection". See attached.

You will not get a sum - only details on each element.

To get sums, use the Element Schedules. (But, no easy way to get only the selected items in the schedule.)

Asking for sums in the Element Info palette seems like a reasonable wish to make in a wish forum.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
sarahric wrote:
Hello,
I would like to know why ArchiCad does not give me information on the size of an object. I draw a line or a rectangle and I have to get the measure tool to know the size, or I have to open the Element Information palette everytime I open the program, and then sift through all the information.
Then if I want to change the size I have to add or subtract and then move each side/point. Why isn't there a box in the info box like there is for the design tools (slab, wall, object)?
I've never had the need for this - if I draw/model something, it is a known size and either I know it, or I dimension it. I've never wondered what the size of anything in my files was. Since nobody has responded to this post, maybe you can explain what leads you to feel a need for this ... and then maybe folks will have some ideas.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
sarahric
Contributor
Thanks Karl,

I have all selected, yes the individual objects show up, just not the sum I was asking about.

You must have a good memory, I don't always remember the size of everything I draw, and often I am using someone elses drawing. I might draw a rectangle to show a carpark (these can vary in size), for example, then later on I want to change the size of that carpark, but I have to measure it before I can change it.
Barry Kelly
Karl wrote:
To get sums, use the Element Schedules. (But, no easy way to get only the selected items in the schedule.)
Sure there is.
Just select what you want in plan.
Then right click on the schedule in Project Map or View Map and choose "List floor plan selection only".
Barry.
list_selected.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice one Barry, I wasn't aware of this option! I always did this by copying the elements to an empty project.

Now if only this would work when I have elements in several stories... Thick marquee and 3d window don't seem to work...
Barry Kelly
sarahric wrote:
I might draw a rectangle to show a carpark (these can vary in size), for example, then later on I want to change the size of that carpark, but I have to measure it before I can change it.
No need to measure it.
Make sure your "tracker" is on.
Drag the side of the rectangle you want to change and move it over the edge that you want to measure from.
Then press "SHIFT+ALT" (but don't click your mouse button) and the user origin will appear on the edge.
Now type the distance you want in the tracker and ENTER.

You can even do it without the user origin (so long as your co-ordinates are in relative mode and not absolute).
Just drag the corner (or edge) you want to move, drag it to the point you want to measure from (but don't click there) and then type "X" or "Y" (depending on the direction you want to stretch) and then type in the distance you want to move with a "+" or "-" after it (depending on the direction you want to move), then ENTER.
You can use DISTANCE ("R" or "D") instead of X or Y but you will always need to use a "-" otherwise you will move in the wrong direction.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
sarahric wrote:
I draw a line or a rectangle and I have to get the measure tool to know the size, or I have to open the Element Information palette everytime I open the program, and then sift through all the information.
If you have the Coordinates Palette showing, just move the User Origin to one corner, move the mouse until it shows a check mark at the opposite corner, and read the x & y distances in the Coordinates Palette.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
sarahric
Contributor
Thanks Barry,
The "list floor plan selection only" option means I have to set up a schedule for all the objects, lines, polygons - what ever I draft. A bit to much work for a small project, but would be a handy tool at other times.
The tracker option is a little fiddly too, I have used this to date.
It would be just easier to have all objects, lines, circles etc. to have this info in the info box and that you could change it, and change the origin.

David, this seems like the simplest option, however this changes my user origin, which I like to keep in one place. Thanks anyway.

Will have to put this down as a wish...