Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

trimming top of window to sloped roof and story oddities

Anonymous
Not applicable
when trimming a fixed glass window (ribbon window in ac) I am loosing the frame @ the top. The glass just goes into the roof.
do I have to use a trapezoidal window here?

Also, I am adding the window to an upper story into its own wall created in that story but the window seems to be added to the main level wall which already has a window in it. The only way I can select the upper clerestory window is in the 3d window, when I try to select it on the main level all I get selected is the main level window

Okay, just did a test in which I dragged a copy of the clerestory wall
(created and visable in my story #4) and placed the window in it, the window disapears but is there in 3d. Its not there on any story in plan
but it is there in 3d view. Is there a way to have this window visable on the plan view of the story and in the wall it was created in?

When we select an element in the 3d window (no mater its native story) and then draw or create that same element in another location in the 3d window shouldn't it be going to the original story no mater which story you left the plan view on?
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jonathan wrote:
when trimming a fixed glass window (ribbon window in ac) I am loosing the frame @ the top. The glass just goes into the roof. Do I have to use a trapezoidal window here?
Yes. Trimming to the roof or using SEOs just lops off whatever is above the cutting element.
Also, I am adding the window to an upper story into its own wall created in that story but the window seems to be added to the main level wall which already has a window in it. The only way I can select the upper clerestory window is in the 3d window, when I try to select it on the main level all I get selected is the main level window
It seems you are having trouble with multi-story walls. Either place separate walls on each story and set to "Symbolic" cut, or use a single wall showing on both stories with the windows at their appropriate heights in the wall.
Okay, just did a test in which I dragged a copy of the clerestory wall (created and visable in my story #4) and placed the window in it, the window disapears but is there in 3d. Its not there on any story in plan
but it is there in 3d view. Is there a way to have this window visable on the plan view of the story and in the wall it was created in?
Check you Floor Plan Cutplane settings. The windows are presumably set to "Projected" cut and the cutplane is not going through them.
When we select an element in the 3d window (no mater its native story) and then draw or create that same element in another location in the 3d window shouldn't it be going to the original story no mater which story you left the plan view on?
I assume that all your walls etc. are set to the projected rather than symbolic cut. This will automatically place walls in the story within which their base resides. Get familiar with these settings to see which will best serve your needs. The symbolic cut is the old way and will behave like AC9, the projected methods have many advantages but do limit the elements' behavior somewhat and can cause some strange occurrences as I believe you have noticed.